Takara White Diamond restock! Check out the new prices

Discussion in 'Lab Grown Diamonds (real diamonds)' started by talk-admin, Apr 21, 2018.

1. talk-admin

talk-admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi all,
    We've just completed a small restock of our sold out Takara lab white diamonds.
    I had noted that we wouldn't add more of these until we could improve the pricing relative to mined whites, but also absolute pricing in general.

Thus, as an example of the improved absolute pricing -

1.00ct G/VS2 Triple Excellent round = $2551.50 (!)
    1.00ct E/VS1 Triple Excellent round = $3402.

These are all IGI certified btw.

Takara Lab Diamonds - Rounds

Best regards,
    Less

2. KarDiam

KarDiam
    Expand Collapse

Two months too late . Realizing that the white lab-Grown Takara diamonds take much longer to grow and are not as profitable, do you still plan to grow and restock them in sprints? Although I’m interested in the AG (per my recent post in the AG forum), I’d still like to own a diamond without breaking my bank. I’ve researched other lab-grown diamond brands and am not sold on the cut quality and grading. I’m inclined to think that you are more selective of the cut when listing in your inventory?

3. talk-admin

talk-admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi KarDiam!
    Great timing - I am working now with our programmer to load up about 12 Ideal cut new Takara lab diamonds, IGI certed :)

this one is an example - 1.08ct EX/EX/EX Ideal cut:
    IGI - Verify Your Report - International Gemological Institute

To answer your question, yes we are much more picky about the cutting, grading etc...it's an ongoing argument with the growers who always think we are crazy to try and cut these to Ideal, or even have them independently graded (shades of DeBeers attitude actually) but that's the whole reason to be making stones - to make the most beautiful gems possible! (my opinion).

Hopefully we'll have the full list on the site tomorrow...it's hitting some issue on the import that our programmer is fixing now.

Re: profit margin - yeah, that's an ongoing issue with these but I keep hoping...obviously I'm a huge fan of beautiful gems and since we're one of the few trying to push for Ideal cut lab grown diamonds, I'm trying to keep our foot in the door and hopefully it will pay off in time.

Hope you are doing well,
    Less

4. Mrs2Ouch

Mrs2Ouch
    Expand Collapse
    Smitten

Do you guys ever offer 5mm - 5.5mm diamonds? Preferably “J” colored. I want two “J” colored stones for a sentimental ring I am trying to make.

5. KarDiam

KarDiam
    Expand Collapse

6. KarDiam

KarDiam
    Expand Collapse

Less,

Looking forward to viewing your latest creations on your website. Thank you.

7. talk-admin

talk-admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Mrs2Ouch,
    Rarely, but we actually do have one going up now (not 2 unfortunately):
    $483.68 0.53 J VVS 2 EX EX EX 314814419
    5.21 - 5.22 x 3.18 mm
    **Ideal Cut**

You can view the full cert and details (inclusion map,etc) here:
    IGI - Verify Your Report - International Gemological Institute

The other 2 in 5mm size are H color for this set. If you want to put a deposit in then we can pull a pair likely over the next month or two as we can just watch for results.

Hope that helps!
    Less

8. talk-admin

talk-admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks KarDiam! They are out there now:
    Takara Lab Grown Diamond Inventory

You can click on the cert and it will jump you to IGI to view the entire cert online for these.

All of them are ideal cut - working now on updating the listings to say that instead of just "Takara round" but they are (and it's noted in the comments on the certs).

Best regards,
    Less

9. KarDiam

KarDiam
    Expand Collapse

Upon doing some background research on the Takara cultured diamonds, per the takaradiamonds.com FAQ, pink and blue diamond rough are sourced from Chatham (and possibly another supplier) and yellows are sourced from a lab in Asia. Although it did not state where white rough is sourced, am I safe to presume Pure Grown? Or are they grown in a different lab as there are only a handful of reputable ones that I’m sure meet your strict requirements.

Yes, I’m one of those that likes to learn about the origin of gems, whether mined or manmade.

10. talk-admin

talk-admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi KarDiam,
    We don't work with Chatham anymore (TakaraDiamonds website is out of date as all the lab diamond inventory moved back to BTD site), and we don't work with PureGrown.
    The labs we work with are smaller, private labs and they haven't given us permission to advertise them as the grower though I'll bring it up with them again...but it's not the bigger ones above.

Hope you are doing well!
    Less

11. KarDiam

KarDiam
    Expand Collapse

Less,

Thank you for clarifying. Would you be able to advise on the best approach to properly appraising and insuring a Takara ideal lab-diamond to avoid potential pitfalls and headaches if ever have to replace with similar and not a sub-par stone. Similar to a question I posted in my AG thread, something I like to consider as part of the overall purchase. Or should I post topic as a new thread? Your valuable and informed guidance is much appreciated.

12. KarDiam

KarDiam
    Expand Collapse

Going to pose a hypothetical conundrum related to insuring a synthetic diamond vs a mined diamond. Assuming that synthetic diamond prices follow a similar trend to other lab-created gems and become significantly less expensive per ct over time (technological advances and market competition), if I were to buy a 1ct lab-created diamond today and used my insurance policy (for valid reason such as loss/theft) 10+ years from now to replace, I’m thinking that I’d be able to get a larger stone for my first stone’s invoice price (even after accounting for inflation). Conversely, as prices for mined diamonds increase over time (fewer mines producing output), the monies I would have spent today will probably afford me a smaller stone with insurance in the future. I realize that I’m super simplifying, but would love to get other perspectives.