Takara hurray!

Discussion in 'Lab Grown Diamonds (real diamonds)' started by applebling, Sep 9, 2015.

1. applebling

applebling
    Expand Collapse

The whites are finally large enough. Hurray, Less!

2 questions:

1. Where can I find the cert for each stone? I click on a stone I want and the certs were for 1.10 ct IF and 1.07ct VVS2 only. The 1st IF and 1st above 1ct, I suppose. Can you please link me to a stone's cert?

2. I read on PS that CVD grow diamonds faster than HPHT. And it's possible to whiten a CVD diamond through HPHT. This was as you mentioned in http://betterthandiamond.com/discussion/...cing_at_approx_ right? May I know what process are used to grow the Takara?

3. The hard part is to grow large enough white diamonds which you did, then why aren't the diamonds cut to ideal/excellent proportions? It's like the hard work all done but let down by cutters. And it's apparent from your Ultra AG that you understand the importance of cut and are capable of excellent light performance type of cut. Hurry, Less. I want an ideal cut lab grown white.

4. Where can I find the upgrade policy for Takaras? I'm sure you understand we love to upgrade!

Hurry, hurry, Less, for the ideal cut white!

2. talk-admin

talk-admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi AppleBling,

Here are some answers for you [​IMG]

Please use our Takara inventory page and then simply hover over the diamond of interest. All the details shown on the cert are then shown above (table %, depth %, polish grade, cut grade, etc).

https://betterthandiamond.com/takara-diamond-search.php

(or just click on the Takara Inventory menu).

Takara's are grown via 100% HPHT in an ultra-pure environment. No after growth enhancements are used or needed.
    They are some of the purest, hardest, and most perfect diamonds on the planet, right from their birth.

The 2.40ct is Ideal cut. The latest set (1.55ct+) are all otherwise Excellent cut.
    So we are steadily improving the cutting. The Amora Gem we cut ourselves via our own robots. The Takaras are cut by contracted diamond cutters and there was a learning curve for them as the Takara's are much harder/stronger than mined, plus frankly there was a mentality that we had to fight through b/c in the mined diamond world, good cut is 'good enough'.
    Anyway, it's steadily improved and so we do have the 2.40ct Ideal cut and all the larger Takaras are Excellent cut.

Once we have more inventory then we'll look at something like this but for now it wouldn't make sense.
    Best route would be to simply sell it directly on http://DiamondBistro.com and you'd likely get more net proceeds from it as well.

Hope that helps!
    Less

#2 talk-admin, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  3. ChristineRose

ChristineRose
    Expand Collapse
    Craving

I'm really pleased to hear this.

The diamond world seems to be very insular. Everyone knows everyone and the best cutters only want to work with certain people, and those people probably are not too thrilled with the idea that cultured stones are now starting to look better than mined stones in every way.

Some people say that cultured stones are romantic. What's more romantic--a bunch of skilled tradesmen in dust proof coveralls, or a bunch of underpaid miners digging in a pit? I guess the poor people need the work more. I'm itching to see what the future will hold now. Maybe if you can convince billions of people that they can't get married without a very expensive rock, you can convince them that the rock should be mined.

4. applebling

applebling
    Expand Collapse

Less, thanks for the detailed response.

2 questions:

1. I was trying to check the lab reports of some diamonds. Their cert number is listed as 10526xx but no report was found when I keyed into IGI report page. Am I correct to say that those are inventory stock number, not lab report numbers? I know listing digital copy of cert will increase manpower, thereby increasing cost. So I was trying to search by myself to no avail. Anyway, I've emailed Dana. I hope she will give me the report number and I can check it myself. Trying to figure out the crown and pavilion angles.

2. Why don't you just buy rough from supplier and get the robot or your own cutters to cut the diamonds?

5. talk-admin

talk-admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi AppleBling,

The cert column shows the cert numbers, but the first batch was graded at NAGL and not IGI.

For those that start with LG_, you can click the hyperlink and it will pull up the cert info from the IGI website.
    The ones starting with 10526XX, were graded at NAGL and not IGI so that's why it won't work on the IGI site [​IMG]

You can email re: specific stones for additional info.

2 - We don't have enough robots to handle production for Amora Gem, much less trying to add Takara diamonds into the robot workload.

In the long term, after we have a number of new TIGER robots up and running and are fully able to meet demand for Amora Gem, then we will look at cutting the Takara's with our robots. However, that is a ways out and not something we could do now.

Hope that helps!
    Less

#5 talk-admin, Sep 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  6. applebling

applebling
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, Less, for your effort to answer every question in detail. [​IMG] I will email Dana for the crown and pavilion angle then.

#6 applebling, Sep 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2016
  7. applebling

applebling
    Expand Collapse

Less, when will you be adding the next batch of Takara? I want to take note so that I won't miss the launch. Thank you [​IMG]

#7 applebling, Sep 15, 2015
  8. talk-admin

talk-admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

HI AppleBling,
    Depends on how the growth of the rough goes but not likely for at least another two months.

Amora Gem is outselling Takara by like 500x+ so it's not nearly as rapid in terms of new inventory vs. Amora Gem restocking every week.

Best thing to do is to sign up on the notify page and once we have a Takara that matches we'll email you:
    http://betterthandiamond.com/notify

Hope that helps,
    Less

#8 talk-admin, Sep 15, 2015
  9. applebling

applebling
    Expand Collapse

Thank you [​IMG]

#9 applebling, Sep 17, 2015
  10. diamondsr4ever

diamondsr4ever
    Expand Collapse

The certification for the 2.4ct has Excellent listed next to cut grade. Under the comments it has Ideal written. So which is it?

Is there an inclusion image?

What are IGIs grading standards compared to AGS or GIA? I've read IGI is a little more lax?

11. talk-admin

talk-admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

I believe their scale only goes to Excellent for the 'cut grade' and then if it is Ideal, it get's noted in the comments.

This Takara is an Ideal cut round.

Yes, but we haven't scanned the cert. If needed, you can email us and request it.

In a recent test of sending out 10 diamonds to five different labs, IGI scored second and virtually tied with GIA. They scored 14.9 for IGI, 14.8 for GIA.
    (Lower means stricter).

http://www.diamonds.net/News/NewsItem.aspx?ArticleID=43417

So they are effectively as good as GIA based on this independent testing.

For reference, AGS no longer grades lab grown, so that's not an option.
    Secondly, while GIA will grade lab grown, they refuse to give them a proper grading report.

Instead of grading color for example (i.e. D vs. E vs F) they will simply state "Colorless" or "Near Colorless"...which means basically they don't grade lab grown since no one is likely to pay GIA pricing for a dumbed down report.

Hope that helps,
    Less

#11 talk-admin, Sep 19, 2015
  12. diamondsr4ever

diamondsr4ever
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the reply!

One more question.
    Are you able to provide images of the stones prior to purchase, 10x, and/or ASET, and/or ideal-scope?

This is all very interesting news, I wish Takara Labs the best! I like diamonds and I've always had a penchant for Sci-Fi novels. Tech diamonds are haute!

13. talk-admin

talk-admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

We don't have any photo equipment at our office. For ASET, etc. we could send it to NAGL to have it done if needed.

Thanks for the kind words and support! It's going to be very interesting over the next few years as the tech needed for growth is really coming into stride.

Best regards,
    Less

#13 talk-admin, Sep 21, 2015
  14. diamondsr4ever

diamondsr4ever
    Expand Collapse

Less, I was reading this Amora thread about GOG's AV cut idea:

http://betterthandiamond.com/discussion/...ra_A#Post844413

How is this coming along btw?

Reading that inspired this idea:
    You know, people like OECs and Antique Cushions in warmer colors. Why not just have your lower colored lab-made diamonds cut into this vintage style?