Solitaire or Pave for upgrade?

Discussion in 'Jewelry Forum' started by kashmira10, Jun 8, 2017.

1. kashmira10

kashmira10
    Expand Collapse

Today is my 15th wedding anniversary and my husband said I can upgrade my ring!!! I apologize in advance for the long post.
    I currently have a .50 carat round diamond (E, VVS1) in the center of a wrap to make it look like a 3 stone. My band is a 1/4 carat 5 stone diamond band. I'm keeping my original set, as well. I've been lurking this website and others for so long that I'm confused as to what style I should get (solitaire, pave, halo...)! I want between a 2.5 or 3 carat size and I'm thinking either a round Neo moissanite Round or maybe will wait for an AVR Amora gem. My ring size is 7. I like halos, as well, but I think they will look dated in the future.
    I want something that is timeless and easy to wear everyday. If I get a solitaire, I can wear my wedding band with it. If I get a pave band, I will wear it alone. I can wear the original wedding ring as a right hand ring since it looks like a 3 stone. I've always hated the fact that my wedding ring and band didn't match. My husband is a physician so we could afford a large diamond but I want something that's conflict free. I also live in the Midwest so people aren't as flashy but I like bling!
    Any suggestions?

2. Windblownhair

Windblownhair
    Expand Collapse
    Connoisseur

If you're pondering a lot of different styles, think about getting a few sterling silver versions of different styles and wearing them to get a feel for what you like. Berricle is one site I like in terms of lots of different styles and usually running pretty good sales.

I know sampling first has been a lifesaver for me. There are a few particular styles that I like very much in pictures but not on my hand.

3. diamondangel

diamondangel
    Expand Collapse
    BTD Crown Jewel

Just seeing this now, but happy 15th anniversary! We just celebrated ours on 6/15, and I upgraded my rings too. I went with a pre-loved old-school style wide invisible setting with 2cts of princess and emerald cuts in 18kwg, and found an estate 14kwg band that had the height necessary to look right with the massive semi-mount, which I'll have my craftsmen eventually custom make the same design band with princess cuts in 18k to match the e-ring better. The center is an Amora. So I got heavy diamond carat weight, with a nice honker Amora, and all of it was conflict free.

You have to keep in mind that the reputable diamond dealers adhere to the strict Kimberly Accord standards. It's the LAW. There are more conflict minerals to your cellphone than you'll find in a diamond ring these days.
    Is Your Cellphone Made With Conflict Minerals?

kashmira10 likes this.