Seeking advice on antique-style ring

Discussion in 'Engagement Rings, E-Rings' started by GUnit, Sep 5, 2016.

1. GUnit

GUnit
    Expand Collapse
    Curious

Hi, I am looking at buying a ring for the first time in my life. It's an e-ring and I need to do some serious detective work to work out the size, but anyway...

This ring has held my attention for weeks now. It's literally the only ring I've seen on any website that I really like. I'm sure my girlfriend would love it. Neither of us are interested in (big) diamonds and she loves fashions etc from previous eras. Blue is a favourite colour for both of us.

But having never purchased jewellery before, I need some advice. Is there any reason I should be cautious with this purchase? I believe they are a reputable dealer, but don't have hard evidence. I'm looking for a reasonable purchase, not a bargain. Is this reasonable? I have no idea of cost breakdowns: how much of the price is for the gemstone (sapphire), how much is for the other materials (platinum 950, small diamonds), how much for the design, ...? Is it a lot to pay for a sapphire? If so, is it worth it? Can I just trust that the sapphire they use will be top quality, or do I need to be sceptical?

I'm a trusting kind of person and willing to spend the money for quality and convenience, but obviously this is a very important purchase and it's unknown waters for me. I'd really love people's advice, opinions, ...

That link again:

Vintage Art Deco Blue Sapphire Ring Design

2. Queen of Sparkle

Queen of Sparkle
    Expand Collapse
    Connoisseur

It is a very pretty ring :)
    It doesn't say anything about the origin of the sapphire on the web page only that the colour is blue,but the stone does look nice in the photos.I would be inclined to contact them & ask if extra pictures of the stone could be emailed to you for closer inspection.You will pay more for rings in general in the UK so the price doesn't seem excessive.......providing the sapphire doesn't turn out to be so dark that it looks black in real life or so pale & watery that you can practically see through the stone.

#2 Queen of Sparkle, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  3. trudi

trudi
    Expand Collapse
    Craving

It's hard to judge what a ring will look like in person when you only view it online. To give you a better idea of what the ring will look like in person remember that sapphires tend to be heavier, so a .68/.78 carat sapphire is generally slightly smaller in size than a .68/.78 carat diamond. This sapphire will show more like a .47/.63 carat diamond so it will be approximately 5/5.5 mm round.

Regarding the sapphire I would ask if it has inclusions, The more inclusions the darker or milkier the stone..
    The side stones are .01 to .015 in size which is like an accent stone. You might want to ask if the side stones are full cut because if they are they will be more brilliant. Accent stones are not always full cut.

Lastly I'd ask the gram/penny weight of the ring, since the platinum weight does effect the cost of the ring.
    I'm guessing a ring that size is 2.5 to 3 grams.

If you live in the US the pound conversion should be $1786.32. That includes the VAT tax but if it's being shipped internationally they might not charge that. I think LOL

Hope that helps.

Edited to add: I just noticed how you spelled jewellery So i'm guessing you are not from the US.

#3 trudi, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  4. GUnit

GUnit
    Expand Collapse
    Curious

Thanks QoS and trudi for the informative replies so far. You've given me some questions to ask and some research to do.

What is LOL in this context?

And yes: "jewellery". I'm in Australia, not US. I tried to write "jewelry" to fit in, but autocorrect defeated me.

VAT won't be charged, but customs duty will be charged at my end, and it will work out roughly the same.

The carat size of the sapphire can be chosen within a certain range. I'm pretty happy with what is shown in the picture. Less is more, sometimes.

5. trudi

trudi
    Expand Collapse
    Craving

LOL is internet shorthand for "laugh out loud".