scratches on Amora gem ultra. Please assist

Discussion in 'Amora Gem Forum' started by CJB, May 11, 2018.

1. CJB

CJB
    Expand Collapse

I purchased an Amora gem ultra 2 years ago from BTD and now I have scratches on the top of the stone that you can see with the naked eye. To my understanding this stone was not supposed to scratch. I'm so sad. I have tried contacting the company three times but no response. How long do responses usually take? I contacted them last week and then again today. I keep checking my mail and spam folder and my husband and I do not know what else to do. This was a big purchase because he gave it to me before he deployed so it has sentimental value. Has anyone else experienced this with their Amora Gems?

Attached Files:

#1 CJB, May 11, 2018
    Last edited: May 12, 2018
  2. CJB

CJB
    Expand Collapse

3. CJB

CJB
    Expand Collapse

looking to see if anyone can help with my Amora gem Ultra scratches. Looking at the forum and past threads, I see this has happened to others before me with their AGs however we have still not been contacted by BTD. I have left them messages and now going on two weeks. Does anyone know what else I can do?

4. Karamia

Karamia
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

Is it for sure a scratch or maybe a build up of residue over time? I once thought I had a scratch on my Amora Gem and it ended up being a stain. I had to be pretty aggressive getting it off. I soaked my ring in warm water with a couple drops of Dawn Ultra and then after an hour or two I took a medium brush toothbrush and scrubbed the gem vigorously for a long time. I repeated this a couple times and it finally came off. To dry I used a rough dishcloth to shine and dry. I don't know if this helps at all, but I am very very rough on my Moissanite and have never had an actual scratch. I am not saying you don't have a scratch but it is more rare. Keep us posted!

5. CJB

CJB
    Expand Collapse

Thank you so much for your response. This is not a build up of residue but I do appreciate your information on it. I posted a picture of the scratches and I had the stone inspected by two different jewelers and both confirmed it to have scratches on the table. They advised me to contact Betterthandiamond which I have several times through their "contact Us" form on their website but still have not received a response. I am so sad about it.

6. mmascall

mmascall
    Expand Collapse
    Connoisseur

Wow that sucks! I hope you get a response to your issue. I have an AG Ultra and, believe me, I'm pretty rough with my ring and have not seen any kind of mark on it - of course, that's not to say it can't happen because obviously it can and did.

7. talk-admin

talk-admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi CJB!
    Thanks for the post with the photo. Let me quickly catch up on this for you:
    1 - "several times through their "contact Us" form on their website but still have not received a response. " - I promise we are not ignoring you, but I checked our helpdesk system and don't see anything in there regarding this.
    If you entered a request via our Contact Us page, you should receive an automated notification with a ticket number to confirm we received and so you know you have an open support ticket. Did you receive this and if not, can you confirm you went to our site (Amora Gem | Takara Lab Created Diamonds | Asha Simulant - The World's Most Stunning Lab-Grown Gems.) and not some other site? (sometimes people go to BetterThanDiamond*S*.com which is not us for example).

2 - Regardless, getting to your Ultra - so it's very difficult to scratch an Amora and basically requires contact with diamond to do so. It's not "unscratchable", but basically the only material hard enough to scratch it is diamond.

In looking at the photo, I'm not sure that those are scratches vs what are termed "grain lines", or "graining". Grain lines can occur in both diamond and Amora (they are cousins so have similar defects) - it's basically a partial seam that occurs during growth. The normal way to tell them apart is that graining is wavy, or undulating, vs. scratches are almost always straight lines and have an actual depression from where material was removed.
    Looking at the first line on the table, it actually is quite wavy and forms a circle, which is very difficult to do from a scratch. Scratching is a hard impact from a blow, and the force is then channelled off in a direction leaving a straight line.

The real test is to look at the stone at an angle and see if you can see an actual depression in the table (a scratch is material removal) vs a grain line is a seam but won't leave a depression. You can also just try running your fingernail over the table and see if it catches where the "scratch" is.
    Another issue to tell if graining vs scratch - if the lines are only visible at certain angles, but not 'top down', then it's certainly graining.

3 - Assuming it is a scratch, it's an easy table repolish to fix so it's certainly not a huge deal to get it back to perfect. But the caveat is it would be good to verify that you aren't storing it next to diamonds in your jewelry box and that they aren't being placed next to diamonds in an ultrasonic where a diamond could get vibrated against it and scratch it.

Anyway, please do the angle test and/or fingernail test and verify if these are scratches or just internal graining. If scratches as noted, we can repolish and fix as those are very faint and wouldn't even affect the carat weight.

Also, please double check regarding an automated response from our helpdesk - something is not right there as we wouldn't ignore you but as noted, I checked and we don't have any email on it in our queue.

Hope that helps,
    Less

8. CJB

CJB
    Expand Collapse

#8 CJB, May 20, 2018 at 6:35 PM
    Last edited: May 20, 2018 at 6:55 PM
  9. CJB

CJB
    Expand Collapse

Less, good evening and thank you for responding to me.
    I posted the page that I used to contact your company. I’m just learning how to navigate this website so I sent it separate. It says it would send me a ticket but it never did. I contacted the company this way four different times with the same reply but never any ticket or email response.

The Amora Gem ultra is never stored with diamonds because I never take it off. I do not own an ultrasonic cleaner and I already took the stone to my jeweler where it was inspected by two different jewelers and both confirmed that it is indeed scratched. I just went ahead and took a look at it from the top and it is visible.

10. CJB

CJB
    Expand Collapse

Attached Files:

11. talk-admin

talk-admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

HI CJB,
    1 - Thanks for showing that contact form receipt. The only time we've every had any issues like that is with yahoo emails....I went into our backend of the system last night to try and find your emails and nothing there either, but I just checked and do see you are on yahoo. For some reason yahoo likes to send emails to a no-man server and not tell anyone about it. Thus emails simply disappear. We contacted them about it years ago and never got any reply, so we just try and avoid interacting with yahoo emails in general.

2-Re: scratches - I'm still skeptical these are scratches b/c the upper line as you can see literally does a loopty loop, which is not how a scratch caused during wear would happen. For reference, we've had jewelers mistake internal graining as scratches before.
    Regardless, I'm happy to get the ring here and let NAGL review under their microscope and if it's scratches we'll just polish and put it back to good as new. If it's internal graining, then it's part of the stone and not something we can fix. Of interest, on the diamond that was posted in the jewelry forum this week, if you open the GIA cert photo for it and review the comments, it also has "surface graining" and if you look at the inclusion plot, has a line similar in some respects to what your photo shows.

I'm not sure how to contact you directly given the yahoo email breakdown (do you have a gmail or alternate email?), but I'll test the PM system here for now.
    Best regards,
    Less

MimiRyan likes this.
  12. CJB

CJB
    Expand Collapse

Hi Less,
    I’d like to thank you for offering to take a look at the ring. After the jewelers told us their findings on the Amora Gem, we just didn’t know what else to do. I feel a bit more relieved that your lab will inspect it well.
    I do not have another email account
    However, you can reach me on my cell#
    210-488-3394.
    Carolyn