Quick question about the fancy colored lab Takara diamonds.

Discussion in 'Lab Grown Diamonds (real diamonds)' started by Deadlywolf, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Deadlywolf

Deadlywolf
    Expand Collapse
    Curious

Why do I see Jamesallen selling pink diamonds for around the same size $50,000+++?

I notice the price on Takara diamonds range around $1k-$3kish.

What's preventing you guys from charging $50,000++ like everyone else?

2. talk-admin

talk-admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi DeadlyWolf,
    As you know, JamesAllen is selling mined pinks, vs Takara's are lab grown - but you are definitely correct that the pricing difference is *huge*.

With our Takara's we have a somewhat ongoing supply (there is still an element of randomness even though lab grown) vs JamesAllen is dependent on mining...so very, very hit or miss on what they have or when. So it reflects a rarity/randomness premium.

Further with mined diamonds there are usually multiple middlemen along the path to the customer, vs Takara's it's quite direct...so there is less markup needed with fewer hands in the pie so to speak.

As for why we don't charge the same since they usually outperform their mined counterparts - our goal is to enable everyone to be able to enjoy stunning gems.
    Mined Pinks are simply not affordable nor a wise purchase decision for most.

Hope that helps!
    Less

3. Deadlywolf

Deadlywolf
    Expand Collapse
    Curious

Since the lab grown colored diamonds are atomically indistinguishable from mined diamonds, I would have expected that you guys would try to take advantage of this and mark them to a price similar to a mine diamond.

I figured that setting prices that high would be pointless because the diamonds would take forever to sell and it wouldn't be profitable.

I'm seeing other companies that can make fancy colored diamonds in the lab. There seems to be competition for it as well.

These pink diamonds look beautiful though! I'm still single and unmarried. I always told myself that I would buy an Amora gem as an engagement in the future. I think I've changed my mind and plan on getting a pink diamond!

Can you guys make other colors? Blue? Green? Purple? Sizes bigger than 1 ct? More different cuts? Cuts like pearl or emerald?

4. talk-admin

talk-admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

HI DeadlyWolf,
    Thanks for the compliment - the pinks are absolutely stunning.

Re: other colors - We can only do pink and white.
    No plans to try other colors. Green requires radiation btw, not something we want to deal with :)

We are working on 1ct+ pinks now though they will be rounds.

Hope that helps!
    Less

Mrs2Ouch likes this.