Pros and Cons of Euro Shank?

Discussion in 'Jewelry Forum' started by Guest, Mar 23, 2003.

1. Guest

Expand Collapse

Hi all. I'm trying to decide between an e-ring with plain shank and an e-ring with Euro shank. Tried the Euro shank on for a few minutes and it was pretty comfortable, but I've never owned one. What are the pros and cons of the Euro shank?

2. diamondangel

diamondangel
    Expand Collapse
    BTD Crown Jewel

If you are getting a large stone mounted it it, it's a good idea. The euro shank prevents the ring from spinning on your finger. A definate plus if your fingers shrink in the cold weather!

3. MelissaCT

MelissaCT
    Expand Collapse
    Mentor

How large is large, DA?

4. diamondangel

diamondangel
    Expand Collapse
    BTD Crown Jewel

I'm not talking carat weight, but mm size. I would think over 8mm it would be a good idea.

But hey! That's just my OPINION. I personally hate it when my ring spins...especially if I have a matching band.

5. CCJ

CCJ
    Expand Collapse
    Smitten

I likewise hate my ring to spin and sit lop sided. I have the euro shank and it definitely helps. I have a 2 ct princess asha.

6. bestwishes

bestwishes
    Expand Collapse
    Smitten

Though I like the look of a Euro shank, I don't find it particularly comfortable. The corners of the Euro shank protrude into my hand and finger action just enough to annoy me slightly. To summarize: It isn't terrible, but I wouldn't choose it again.

The most comfortable ring I ever tried was one in which the INSIDE was squared slightly to more closely resemble a natural finger shape. The outside was the traditional circle. Absolutely no spin on a very heavy ring.

7. sbj4115

sbj4115
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

anymore opinions on euroshank? i find the discussion so far quite interesting...

8. MrsFrk

MrsFrk
    Expand Collapse
    Connoisseur

I found a Euroshank felt odd for about a week, and then got used to it. I think they are a good idea, especially for a high profile or large stoned ring. You can always have it polished off if you decide you really don't like it, but I think that you'll probably get used to it quickly.

9. DiamLady

DiamLady
    Expand Collapse
    The Florentine Diamond

Well, I have had the euro shank and they don't bother me. But I am a "spinner". I often spin my rings with my thumb while just sitting, like in the car. Wierd I know, huh? The euro shank makes it difficult to do. ROFLMAO at myself!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] So I prefer a rounded shank.

#9 DiamLady, Oct 10, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2016
  10. MrsFrk

MrsFrk
    Expand Collapse
    Connoisseur

Oh DiamondLady, that is quite funny! "Dang ring won't SPIN!!!"

11. starstruck

starstruck
    Expand Collapse
    The Imperial Diamond

I am not a euroshank fan at all but it's because of the swelling factor with my fingers. I think it looks pretty and it really does stop the spin I just find it uncomfortable for me.

12. Trisha

Trisha
    Expand Collapse
    Connoisseur

I love euroshanks! I have three rings with a euroshank on them. It definitely helps spinning, especially if the rings are top heavy [​IMG]. Before I got my e-ring with the euroshank, it spun all the time. It was very annoying [​IMG]. I find them very comfortable to wear, too.

#12 Trisha, Oct 11, 2004
  13. shoediva

shoediva
    Expand Collapse
    Mentor

I have the three stone with euro shank, it really does help on the spinning and turning, and lessens damage potential!

I used to bang up another ring (Diamonique) I had cuz it would turn and I would hit it on something like a metal file cabinet at work when reaching to open it! That made my heart sink when it happened, and immediately stop to look for chipped stones, bent prongs, etc.

I also stabbed my other fingers with the prongs when the ring turned, especially in winter, when my fingers shrunk from the cold.

14. diamondangel

diamondangel
    Expand Collapse
    BTD Crown Jewel

Have any of you found websites for semimounts with euroshanks? The GOG Ingwer setting pages only shows three rings with euroshanks. They're scarce on the various sites that I've gone to.

15. Annadellah

Annadellah
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

I love Euro shanks, it would cost about $100 extra (on pre-order) but it's worth it, especially on 3 1/2 3stone, another "option" depending on their size: Bubbles/Bups/Balls inside the shank prevents the spinning/shrinking.

16. Annadellah

Annadellah
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

oh, forgot they run for about $30.

17. Pookarina

Pookarina
    Expand Collapse
    The Black Orlov

I have a radiant Interlap 1.5 ct or so (bigger than a 1.10 but smaller than a 2ct) in a euroshank 18k/platinum ring and it is one of my very favorite.
    I like the euroshank a lot.
    I din't know what it was when i bought it but it is really nice and comfortable and I listed it for sale on the BSTA thread but then decided to keep it.
    I like it too much to sell.

18. storm024

storm024
    Expand Collapse
    Mentor

I know exactly what you are talking about. I saved this pic from the other board, and I can't remember who made this ring. I want to say Wink, but it could have been VanGraff or MichaelE. Can someone help me out?

[​IMG]

I remember the person saying that this was way more comfortable than the traditional euro shank.

Attached Files:

#18 storm024, Dec 15, 2004
  19. Summer

Summer
    Expand Collapse
    Smitten

I don't like the look of Euro Shank at all but I saw a ring that I like with it. Shame it had a Euro Shank. I didn't get the ring because of the Euro. I have the email of the manufacturer so I might email them and ask them if they can make it without the Euro. If they can make it, I will buy it. That would be a big selling point for me.

20. northstar78

northstar78
    Expand Collapse
    The Black Orlov

Wow what a good idea! Is this a design that could be easily incorporated into any ring

#20 northstar78, Feb 10, 2005