Possible Scammer, Help!

Discussion in 'Feedback on the Marketplace' started by Courtland Dastyck, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Courtland Dastyck

Courtland Dastyck
    Expand Collapse
    Curious

Hello everyone, so first time ever selling a ring online and had someone respond to my ad. It was the wife at first saying she will let her husband know about the ring and he will email me. He did email me a day later with this response...

"Hello my wife just informed me about this and wants me to pay for it, I am so sorry that i couldn't email you earlier i had to work overtime, I will be having a little change in my schedule, my son had an emergency and was rushed to intensive care unit , My initial plan was for me to make the payment and have you ship it to our address but now that we have to leave the house it wont be possible that way but I already arranged with my usual local shipper who will be picking it up After you have
    been paid and he will have it kept safe since i wont be available at home, myself and my wife we will have to keep an eye on Brandon for now My little man he needs us most this time,I am OK with your price, i will be making the purchase but my mode of payment will be a certified bank check which i
    will send through ups tomorrow and you will get it on Thursday. So when you cash the check, I will call you to arrange shipment I believe everything should go smoothly. I will need to have a name the check is payable to, an address to give to the courier (mailing address),also your phone number so i can give you a call when i send out the payment and the agreed price.

I will plead that you remove the ad online so i will be rest assured that you wont be selling it to another buyer, I'm willing to add an extra 30$ for holding it.

Thanks"

"Thanks for your understanding, i will make out the payment to you tomorrow immediately after brandon's surgery, then i will text the tracking number to your phone so that way you can keep an eye on the package to know when it arrives."

"Im so sorry for the poor update on this purchase, it was due to my son;s critical condition, we lost the young man to surgery complications.
    I will mail out the check on monday and text you the tracking number, i still dont have your phone number"

At first it sounded scammy and similar to Craigslist scams but he did follow through and send me a check. I deposited it and the funds are now in my bank, still feeling uneasy about this transaction I called chase and they said it takes 5-7 days to figure out if the bank has or does not have the funds. I asked so if I spend the money from that check that is now showing available, in 5-7 days if it's not available in the other persons account then I am in the negative? They said yes. I felt this was stupid that they provide money without knowing it's in the bank but this made me even more uneasy. If this is real I don't want to make the buyer wait but I'm just seeing flags everywhere.

Mind he has a courier he want to have pick it up. And he mentioned his son in the email but said something about a daughter being sick in text. As seen below.

IMG_2709.PNG

2. Courtland Dastyck

Courtland Dastyck
    Expand Collapse
    Curious

Hello everyone, so first time ever selling a ring online and had someone respond to my ad. It was the wife at first saying she will let her husband know about the ring and he will email me. He did email me a day later with this response...

"Hello my wife just informed me about this and wants me to pay for it, I am so sorry that i couldn't email you earlier i had to work overtime, I will be having a little change in my schedule, my son had an emergency and was rushed to intensive care unit , My initial plan was for me to make the payment and have you ship it to our address but now that we have to leave the house it wont be possible that way but I already arranged with my usual local shipper who will be picking it up After you have
    been paid and he will have it kept safe since i wont be available at home, myself and my wife we will have to keep an eye on Brandon for now My little man he needs us most this time,I am OK with your price, i will be making the purchase but my mode of payment will be a certified bank check which i
    will send through ups tomorrow and you will get it on Thursday. So when you cash the check, I will call you to arrange shipment I believe everything should go smoothly. I will need to have a name the check is payable to, an address to give to the courier (mailing address),also your phone number so i can give you a call when i send out the payment and the agreed price.

I will plead that you remove the ad online so i will be rest assured that you wont be selling it to another buyer, I'm willing to add an extra 30$ for holding it.

Thanks"

"Thanks for your understanding, i will make out the payment to you tomorrow immediately after brandon's surgery, then i will text the tracking number to your phone so that way you can keep an eye on the package to know when it arrives."

"Im so sorry for the poor update on this purchase, it was due to my son;s critical condition, we lost the young man to surgery complications.
    I will mail out the check on monday and text you the tracking number, i still dont have your phone number"

At first it sounded scammy and similar to Craigslist scams but he did follow through and send me a check. I deposited it and the funds are now in my bank, still feeling uneasy about this transaction I called chase and they said it takes 5-7 days to figure out if the bank has or does not have the funds. I asked so if I spend the money from that check that is now showing available, in 5-7 days if it's not available in the other persons account then I am in the negative? They said yes. I felt this was stupid that they provide money without knowing it's in the bank but this made me even more uneasy. If this is real I don't want to make the buyer wait but I'm just seeing flags everywhere.

Mind he has a courier he want to have pick it up. And he mentioned his son in the email but said something about a daughter being sick in text. As seen below.

IMG_2709.PNG

ame likes this.
  3. Sandeek

Sandeek
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

Hi. Nope. This is too elaborate. The more details the less likely I am to believe this person. I would not have sold to them. Since you have the check and will know soon if the check clears I guess you should wait, but hold on to the merchandise. I would then mail (USPS or the like with signature required, insured) to wherever they want, family member, work. I would not allow a courier to pick it up. I hope they don't have your address. Sounds fishy to me too. Good luck!

4. mmascall

mmascall
    Expand Collapse
    Connoisseur

+10000

5. TheFloweringEarth

TheFloweringEarth
    Expand Collapse
    Smitten

This is most definitely a scam....how did this work out? Please update when you can.

Queen of Sparkle likes this.
  6. ame

ame
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

Check? Nope.

7. Imbrandy1

Imbrandy1
    Expand Collapse

First who worries about buying jewelry with their child seriously ill? DO NOT send them your deposit receipt! That is how they will access YOUR bank account later and try to do unauthorized withdraws from YOUR account or create fake checks with YOUR account information. I work a bank and we see this happen every day. Trust your instincts! Yes, a bank will release to you provisional credit based on the assumption the check is good because it is a check a bank has no way to know when initially accepting the check. If you deposit anything into your account you are taking ownership of it good or bad. If your account goes negative you will be responsible for the negative balance. A check can clear as early as 5-7 days and as long as a month and in rare cases can take a year. Don't touch the money until your bank has confirmed the check cleared the other institution not just that the funds availability has been lifted from your side. Even then if the funds clear they can be reported as an unauthorized withdraw. The requesting bank has the right to ask for money back and your bank would be required to comply. This situation would not be considered fraud and therefore the loss covered by your bank because you deposited the funds, endorsed the back, and possibly used funds. Police may be kind and take a report from you but there will be no way to track them down.