patented radiant cut diamond

Discussion in 'Simulants, all other' started by adzuraelier, Sep 9, 2008.

1. adzuraelier

adzuraelier
    Expand Collapse
    Mentor

i found this while googling radiant cuts and i have to say that the radiants on this site really does look and perform quite differently from my asha radiant.can anyone in the know comment about the difference between the radiant cut in the asha and the radiant cut shown here?
    originalradiantcut

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#1 adzuraelier, Sep 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2016
  2. swaragirl

swaragirl
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

While I don't own an Asha, my immediate comment is that an Asha is cut like a diamond - and these aren't. Not to put too blunt a point on it, the pictures of the stones shown here appear to be skimping on facets.

Both the Princess and Radiant cuts - when correctly cut - should show a "crushed ice" pattern which is caused by the method by which they are faceted (I KNOW someone with greater knowledge can comment on this.)

Looking at the radiant picture, the center has a series of lines that radiate outwards, and then has almost a circular or swirl effect as you look closer to the edges. This swirl effect, IMHO, is a telltale sign of a stone that is cut like a CZ and NOT like a diamond. The princess has lines that go out to the corners, but does not show the square cross-facets I have come to expect from a well cut princess...

Wait, let me see if I can find an illustration.

Here is a picture from Interlap showing a properly-cut radiant:

[​IMG]

And a princess:

[​IMG]

Can you see the squares? Interlap is known for the excellence of its cutting. If you are looking at garden-variety CZ's, I strongly recommend Wink and his Interlap stones, which are inexpensive but amazing looking. However, Wink's Interlap stones do not feature the Asha's coating, so the Ashas are even nicer, but more expensive.

However, they are BOTH cut properly! No swirls!

Hope that makes sense!

Jen 8)

#2 swaragirl, Sep 9, 2008
  3. crodriguez07

crodriguez07
    Expand Collapse
    Afficionado

The original radiant is a mixed cut; steps and facets. I was considering this cut as well as a barion cut cushion because I like both steps and facets. The steps are what appears to be "swirls". I love it. I'd love to see one in person and see what it looks like.

4. diamondangel

diamondangel
    Expand Collapse
    BTD Crown Jewel

There are actually many facet patterns for a radiant, and typically they'll call it "Modified rectangular brilliant" on the reports. Go onto a diamond search engine, do a search for radiants, and pull up some reports. Take a look at the various facet patterns shown. I have seen at least 7 or 8 different ways of cutting them.

I personally detest the swirling pattern such as the "original radiant cut" because it detracts from the scintillation. The way the Winfield's and Asha radiants are cut is more of a scissors pattern, and the waterfall of light that comes out is just stunning. [​IMG]

#4 diamondangel, Sep 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2016
  5. adzuraelier

adzuraelier
    Expand Collapse
    Mentor

thanks everyone...WOW swara girl..i wanted to cut and paste the asha or winfield radian5t for comparison but couldnt thanks so much for doing so...it's a much better comparison pic than the one i had.

that's the things radi8, i saw the video of the swirly radiant and they sparkle like a RB H&A diamond with rather big sparks shooting out whereas my asha radiant has the(i love the way DA puts it,very poetic) internal waterfall of light, like a hundred pinpoints of light going off at once..

i took your advice DA and read up a bit more...apperantly the middle is cut RB style and then it stepped out instead of the 'scissors cut' ala princess..and apparently this eliminates the dark X in the middle as well as spraying out the sparkle...the thing is swaragirl...the site is for diamonds only no cz...i was actually thinking if it could be replicated with cz but i'm betting the whole physics calculations of adjusting it to cz properties and performance is too much work i cant afford...

6. crodriguez07

crodriguez07
    Expand Collapse
    Afficionado

You should ask Micheal E if he can cut a cashmere like it if you want it.

7. swaragirl

swaragirl
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

Also, doesn't Wink have a "RegenCZ" and "Jubilee" which are supposed to be H&A square-cut stones?

I am not sure that is the look you are after, but I am just throwing out some suggestions as I love Wink's stones.

I personally do not own a Michael stone, but I have never seen a negative comment on them and believe they are wonderful.

#7 swaragirl, Sep 11, 2008
  8. love36

love36
    Expand Collapse
    Afficionado

I am interested in a Canary Yellow Radiant Interlap
    any details you all could give on what too look for would be great. I want my ring to be set with diamonds in the band and Interlap as center stone. Thinking 14x10 Radiant.

Will it sparkle ?

9. love36

love36
    Expand Collapse
    Afficionado

I like the waterfall comment