Passing off Moissanite as a Diamond

Discussion in 'Moissanite Forum' started by deathbydesign, Dec 10, 2010.

1. deathbydesign

deathbydesign
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

My plan from the beginning was to pass off my moissanite as a diamond to most people. Personally, I don't see a problem with this. I will tell people my moissanite is a diamond. Yes, even if they ask.

Some people have insisted that if one does not tell people what their stone is, they must be ashamed of their choice.

This could not be farther from the truth! I am extremely proud of my moissanite and I'm so glad I educated myself about diamond alternatives. When I looked at diamond prices for the first time I thought to myself "There must be a better way"... and there was! For me, Moissanite is a dream come true. I can have all the sparkle, quality... On top of it all I can have the same diamond reputation... for a fraction of the diamond price.

Then they say if I wanted the diamond reputation, I should have got a diamond, but I didn't WANT a diamond (I dislike the diamond industry as a whole). However, that doesn't mean I don't want the same diamond sparkle and the same diamond esteem. Moissanite let's me have all of that.

I CAN have it all! I can even have the same artificially elevated prestige that diamonds have without having a diamond, why not take it?

Inwardly, I will always be super proud I was smart and chose moissanite instead of spending tons of money to support the diamond industry, but outwardly I will enjoy all the esteem of my "diamond" ring. It's not that I am ashamed I got moissanite, it's that I want to enjoy all of the diamond benefits.

What are your thoughts on this?

#1 deathbydesign, Dec 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2016
  2. gemcandy

gemcandy
    Expand Collapse
    Craving

I don't explain mine anymore because people just got confused. I've had a few unsavory and ignorant comments but mainly, I got tired of explaining it. Its kind of complicated because many people think of diamond whenever they see something that is colorless and sparkly. That's just how it is.
    Anyway, I believe you should not have to explain anything to people. Most will not know. Some people dye their hair and never say that's not their natural color, they only accept the compliments. :p If you say its a diamond and just accept their compliments I dont really see a problem with it.
    I only tell those close to me because its too complex and technical to explain everything to total strangers. that's just me.

3. Christina1121

Christina1121
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

I couldn't have said it better myself! Legitimately. I agree 100%.

I just read your post to my boyfriend and we have the same opinion as you do.

Although, I'm not sure I'm going to pass my moissy off as a diamond yet.

4. Bronwyn

Bronwyn
    Expand Collapse
    Connoisseur

all right all right come out with it, moissaniteco is paying you huh?!!

JUST KIDDING!! I know alot of people think that of us that post how much we love our stones and settings because we get something for a mere fraction of what others pay in B and M stores.

I hope to buy my stone next Friday and because of you DBD and your videos I am. I'm hoping I truely love it because I can NOT justify the $7500 at zales right now for a 1.5ct diamond that has very visable inclusions. seriously though when your boy gets that sucker set, they should give him a discount!

yes I feel the same, I don't need to justify my purchases to people and it's my money and I'll spend it the way I want. People will think what they want. Heck I KNOW my friends and family think I'm in debt up to my eye balls but I'm not and they think I'm a welfare queen and not but hey, whatcha gonna do? just gotta keep movin on. someone asked me about a ring I wore this summer and I just said divorce jewelry, and it was, so that's my response now. I DO tell people to go to moissaniteco and ashadiamonds for incredible prices for settings though, the gold prices can not be beat anywhere.

5. diamondangel

diamondangel
    Expand Collapse
    BTD Crown Jewel

Great answer! ("Divorce jewelry") I recently saw and was drooling over a 1.66 carat I1 on Ebay that went for under $2k, and the major grading inclusion was an indented natural. "I got it on Ebay" is one of my favorite explanations. [​IMG]

#5 diamondangel, Dec 10, 2010
  6. Cooriander

Cooriander
    Expand Collapse

No one has never asked me if my moissy is a diamond, I had it for 3 years. All I hear is WOW, what a gorgeous ring, and I just say thanks!

7. ocMrsB

ocMrsB
    Expand Collapse
    Omniscient

to the OP, i completely agree with you. this is not vital information you are omitting that could affect someone else's life, so imo there's no obligation for full disclosure at all.

i say pass it off, that's what i do (with most of my pieces).

8. diamondssuck

diamondssuck
    Expand Collapse

100% agree. But...I think the asha is a better choice for me!

Only one other person is going to know it's not a diamond. Well...besides the jeweler. [​IMG]

#8 diamondssuck, Dec 10, 2010
  9. MissCassie

MissCassie
    Expand Collapse
    The Pink Orchid

I can't see anything wrong with that at all! It is true, when people see white stone + tons of sparkle they = it must be a diamond! And yes, we've all been raised with the notion that a diamond is what "should" go into an engagement ring, and the size is a bit of a status symbol. If people want to believe it is a diamond or assume so because they don't know of other options, just let them compliment you and love that they love your ring almost as much as you do!

To me, it is a lot like clothing. You can still get nice, high quality pieces without paying a fortune for them to create a great look you wear with ease and when others look at you they don't think "oh, well, she looks nice, but she would look nicer if she bought the $300 jeans instead of the $70 ones." No, they just think "Well, there goes someone who looks nice."

When (if I can ever get the boyfriend to understand why I want to be engaged after over four years!) I get my moissy e-ring, I plan on telling everyone close to me about it, but out and about, I don't want to deal with explanations to total strangers unless someone seems genuinely interested because people are judgemental and their opinions are not my problem.

So, long story short, I say you rock that ring like it's a diamond!

#9 MissCassie, Dec 11, 2010
  10. Allure

Allure
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

You aren't obligated to tell anyone a darn thing about your ring. You loving it is all that matters.

Good news is, most people will assume it's diamond, because "everyone" gets a diamond. I have never had anyone question if my moissanite ring is not a diamond. They just assume it is. I get tons of compliments and ooos and aahs over the bling factor. It definitely outshines all the other girls rings under our office lighting conditions.

I have never lied directly about my ring being diamond, but I have just smiled and nodded when someone makes an assumption. I don't feel it's my job to correct their assumptions. I have to laugh when mall jewelers fawn all over my "diamond" ring. None of them have ever guessed it was a moissanite.

My husband was a harder sell. He was a diamond only guy until we actually started shopping for said diamond, and then he opened his eyes and wallet to what moissanite could offer. Now he's well educated and enjoys getting a rile from his friends who all shelled out a lot more cash for not nearly as impressive of a ring for their wives. This can be a sore subject for some of them though, as they will defend their diamond choices with all kinds of consumerism BS. A diamond is valuable and is an investment. It'll last forever. Yep that's what the commercials tell us. [​IMG]

#10 Allure, Dec 11, 2010
  11. teachme

teachme
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

I am so excited right now about moissanite that I tell everyone about it. I don't have it as a ring yet. I have a pendant and my mom is replacing my diamond earrings with moissanite ones for Christmas (I lost one of my diamond earrings after wearing them non-stop for 8 years, not a bad investment). I can't wait to get the moissy earrings. My e-ring will be moissanite someday and I don't plan to hide that fact from close friends and family, but I won't explain my choice to the outside world, so I say go for it. It really isn't anyone elses business anyway.

12. cinnamongirl

cinnamongirl
    Expand Collapse
    Smitten

Well, I haven't been in the position yet (to be asked) since I don't yet have my ring, but when I do:

I think it would be horribly rude for someone to ask, "Is that a diamond?!". If they did, I'd have a sharp reply, but I don't think I would outright lie. I don't think it's anyone's business and I don't think telling others the truth is necessary, but if push came to shove I would tell them the truth. Why?

Well, the one drawback to moissanite (for me) is that people WILL assume it's a diamond. Like the OP, I love the *look* of a diamond but hate the ethics of it (for many reasons). A part of me wants a non-diamond stone so that people will know it's not a diamond, and why. But, the other part loves the sparkle....so that's my dilemma. The easy solution for me is to get a moissanite, and when folks ask, tell them the truth. If they don't like it, or don't understand why I wanted a "fake" or any other ridiculous response that people commonly make, I say, "Screw 'em!"

If a woman wants to pass her moissanite off as a diamond, it's her business. No one broadcasts, "Hey, these gorgeous highlights are from the salon, not the sun!", or "Hey, I'm wearing makeup!", or "Hey, I have breast implants!", or "Hey, Spanx should give me stock options I have so many!". Some things are *meant* to be private and mysterious!

#12 cinnamongirl, Dec 12, 2010
  13. diamondangel

diamondangel
    Expand Collapse
    BTD Crown Jewel

[​IMG]

#13 diamondangel, Dec 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2016
  14. Gsu02olliff

Gsu02olliff
    Expand Collapse
    Craving

My DBF and I have decided on a yellow moissanite. I have never been a fan of clear stones (diamonds or otherwise) because to me they look too much like glass, but when my sister got engaged to her husband (a dermatologist) and got a 2 carat very slight yellow diamond ring I became intrigued to what a yellow diamond looked like. All the girls in my immediate family are very unique when it comes to e-rings.. my oldest sister has a 3 carat Alexandrite from Mexico, my mom has a 3 carat Tanzanite, and of course the very light yellow diamond! I then found yellow moissanite and for the price and the look I am joyous beyond belief. My DBF got laid off back in Feb. and just found a job last month so we have had to put engagement on hold.. but we talk about it constantly and he has promised as soon as his finances are back up to speed and we can support ourselves as a couple (he lives in Pa and I live in Ga) engagement will happen. I cant wait to show off my yellow moissy when its time.

15. WishfulThinker

WishfulThinker
    Expand Collapse
    Smitten

I absolutely agree with you all, I feel so proud that we chose moissanite =) And smart, too! I will, without a doubt, pass my moissy as a diamond to every single soul I know =P DBF has promised to do the same also. It's our little secret. And with the money we're saving, we'll be able to pay our small wedding and honeymoon cruise in Hawaii like we've always dreamed AND be able to buy our first house together in the same year.

Lately my DBF has been talking with his best friend and he's also planning for an engagement soon. He got his gf a Tacori setting with a 1 carat center (he made the store match bluenile's quote). He kept saying how expensive rings are and DBF just nodded and said yeah. lol. Then asked DBF what the clarity and color of HIS diamond was..which he replied Si and H as color. His friend beamed and said he got the same thing! LOL

From my calculations, here's what he paid:

Simple tacori setting : 1,500 to 2,300$
    1 carat, Si2 and H color diamond : 4,300$
    Add the 15% sales tax
    TOTAL : MINIMUM 6,670$

This is the cost WITHOUT the matching band.

It makes me grin to know we saved over 5 or 6k!!!

16. Bronwyn

Bronwyn
    Expand Collapse
    Connoisseur

I think I'm becoming more comfortable telling people that my moissanite is just that, a moissanite and I know why. I have diamonds, two, I had three but lost it, and they don't have enough of sparkle for me. I've already showed my cousin moissaniteco's site and she's blown away on the setting prices alone. Some of the styles are super hard to find in stores so she's considering getting one. I've realized I'm not embarrassed at all with my future purchase and I plan to pass along to everyone where I got it. Paying $700 for a ring that costs $7500 at zales is nothing to be embarrassed about, it's smart. It's not the same exact thing as in its not a diamond but I dont buy into the diamond BS anyways.

17. deathbydesign

deathbydesign
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

It's not that I am ashamed of my moissanite, I am VERY proud of the price I paid and the quality I got! I am all for not buying into the diamond industry's bull! BUT, many people still feel like diamonds are the best you can get and they can't be beat by any other gemstone. We here all know what bull that is, but the diamond industry's advertising has had a profound effect on how people view the engagement ring.

My opinion is that if I can have all the diamond benefits without a diamond, then why not take it? I can have the sparkle, I can have the quality... why not also take the esteem?

18. Bronwyn

Bronwyn
    Expand Collapse
    Connoisseur

I know and you shouldn't be! I know people think a diamond means love and the size equates how much and I know most people like me, don't want to justify a purchase to everyone when questioned why not a diamond. Hey I'm not going to advertise it's a moissanite but if I'm asked I'll inform the person. To me it's just as bad as trying to make someone feel bad about having a sapphire or emerald or the like for an ering instead of a diamond. I tried telling my cousin that diamonds were not actually worth much at all and she was blown away by that comment. I think right now she's very disenchanted with her holy grail 4 ct wedding band not actually being worth much and is not an investment.

19. NatalieStar

NatalieStar
    Expand Collapse
    Mentor

A couple of months ago I sold the $3000 e-ring my first boyfriend proposed with in 2004 (so it should have appreciated 6 years in value) for $380. I have sold Asha rings for between $400 - $700. Which stone is a better investment? lol

I tell people my play rings are not real (they sometimes assume they are but as soon as I am questioned about them I say they arent - I definately dont have the money to casually own an array of 2 - 3 ct diamonds)

But my e-ring, when I recieve it, I will not disclose.

SO spent $2k on it, which is about the same or not much less than what a lot of ladies in OZ recieve anyhow - but for around .4 - .5ct diamonds. We just managed a bigger and prettier stone and awesome setting! I dont think we will have any problem pulling it off because we actually could easily afford a 1.75ct diamond we just prefer to be smart with our money [​IMG] like putting it into our mortgage repaymments or traveling with it. Plus i love asha's more than diamonds.

#19 NatalieStar, Dec 13, 2010
  20. Macy

Macy
    Expand Collapse
    Connoisseur

Timely topic for me, DBD. Thanks for starting it. I was thinking about starting a thread asking whether anyone tells other people that they are not wearing natural diamonds (whether Asha, other cz, Moissanite, etc.). I agree that it is no one's business but your own, but sometimes I feel like "coming out of the closet" and telling others that the jewelry that they have been admiring on me (and I got compliments not only on my Ashas, but also on my Diamonique) are CZs. Why can't we just enjoy our jewelry and be proud of it because we think it is pretty and we think it makes us look nice? Sometimes I think I'd like to start a "revolution" and try to change the general public's perception (or misconception, more accurately) about diamonds and diamond alternatives. But, the stigma against CZs is so deeply ingrained that I don't think I will take the chance. I, too, am going to keep my secret.

#20 Macy, Dec 13, 2010