Just got my AG

Discussion in 'Amora Gem Forum' started by Mushers, May 16, 2018.

1. Mushers

Mushers
    Expand Collapse

My AG came today and I was SO excited to see it, but I have to admit I am a bit disappointed. The rainbow flashes look just like my fb moissanite, possibly even more so. I thought this stone was more diamond like in behavior? In all the videos I've seen they look really sparkly and bright but mine is REALLY rainbow-y (made up word, but you know what I mean, ha!)

I got a I color, could that be why? Would a higher color grade sparkle differently? I just didn't want it to be too white.

2. misslanalove

misslanalove
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

Can you show me yours? Ours came in today as well. 5.42 ct D IF Krupps

3. Mushers

Mushers
    Expand Collapse

That looks amazing!!! My stone looks NOTHING like that. I’ll take a video when I get home from work. I don’t get it. :(

4. teevee

teevee
    Expand Collapse

Mushers, which cut did you get?

5. Mushers

Mushers
    Expand Collapse

I got the Amora Eternity Super Ideal H&A Round. 2.4 carat I color VS2

6. teevee

teevee
    Expand Collapse

Is your stone more rainbowy than the one shown in the comparison videos Jonathan did with GOG’s diamond? In what lighting situations? I am just curious....

7. loveAmoraaa

loveAmoraaa
    Expand Collapse

not an expert here, but i think round ones are more "Rainbowy" than Krupps in general because of the way it is cut.. (even diamonds, hearts and arrow round are more rainbowy than emerald cut)

8. Karamia

Karamia
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

I will chime in to add that Loveamoraa is right, round Amoras are going to be more rainbowy and sparkly than just about all other cuts, especially the step cuts. I have an Eternity and it throws lots of rainbows but I personally love that aspect of moissy.

9. talk-admin

talk-admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Mushers,
    A lower color grade like an I color will appear to be a bit more 'rainbowy' to use your term.
    The reason is this - perception of color is relative. The same red color on a white background vs. a slightly darker background will 'appear' to be different, with the one on a darker background viewed as a more intense color.

In this case, the I color has more body color and thus 'darkens' /intensifies the perception of the colors the Amora (or diamond) is giving off.

Thus, if you don't want as much fire/rainbow colors, then going with a colorless Amora will help to some degree.

That said, having seen a D color Amora and a $45K H&A diamond together, they both are quite rainbowy/firey b/c the H&A cut intrinsically has more fire than an ideal cut (which has more fire than a generic round cut) simply due to having better light return and better angles.

Other cuts are not able to optimize light return as much as an H&A round so will not show as much fire/rainbow flashes...so there is both cut and color involved in determining the amount of fire visible and how it is perceived.

Hope that helps!
    Less

mmascall and misslanalove like this.
  10. backliteyes

backliteyes
    Expand Collapse
    Curious

I got a round Amora Gem recently as well, in E color. It is more colorful than my diamond but not so much that I dislike it. I believe the diamond is a D or E color (don't remember, it was in my husband's family and I don't have the documentation for it) and I'm sure it is not H&A cut. You might like a whiter colored stone more.