Is this normal ?.. RE Color

Discussion in 'Moissanite Forum' started by Mary1111, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Mary1111

Mary1111
    Expand Collapse

Hi All, Ok I decided I wanted to get a gorgeous ring to go with My G-H color 5 stone Diamond wedding band.. is maybe 1.5 ctw. .. I bit the bullet and bought a 2.25ctw 3 stone ring that was d-e color from Moissanite CO.. ..Charles and Colvard stones... Got it and was TOTALLY underwhelmed. The stones were SO white they almost seemed milky to me and next to my band made my stones look Yellow. So I returned it and got a 3 stone, but this time requested that I have GH color stones. ..NOW I have the OPPOSITE problem, I wear it with my band and my band looks WHITER and these stones look yellow or green or champagne tinted. ...My heart sank b/c on its own it is beautiful albeit I could see a touch of color maybe when worn alone. WELL.. then I went in a store and underneath the fluorescent light, my rings were MAGNIFICENT. They Moissanite was white and so sparkly and beautiful ..they looked VERY similar in color to my band, and if anything was back to the Moissanite looking brighter and whiter than the band if anything. ... .Then, went back outside in ambient cloudy day and it took on a greenish tint. My husband thinks I am absolutely nuts and he doesn't see it but it is blatant to me (however I AM an professional Portrait artist painting every day so maybe I'm too keen to subtle color changes)... then we went out to dinner in a bar light setting and my rings were magnificent together again. SO what gives. .. I can tell you right now, had I gone to a jeweler and tried these rings on under their lighting, I would have jumped with joy and walked out of the store with this ring. ..but in my bedroom, which is all cream colored.. it looks yellowish, outside in clouds looks greenish. Is this NORMAL for moissanite, and something I just need to embrace as unique to the stone? Or should I return and try again. I know the D-E Is way too white for me, I prefer antique diamonds and they truly are rarely ever WHITE.. and looked awful with my band. This looks better with my band in the right light as mentioned .. MAGNIFICENT with my band, but my gosh, just normal everyday non exciting light,...they look a different color .. what gives. Do I decide I love this bc THIS IS The nature of the gemstone moissanite, or do I try something else and what?

2. blushfiend

blushfiend
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

[QUOTE="Do I decide I love this bc THIS IS The nature of the gemstone moissanite, or do I try something else and what?[/QUOTE]

Do you know if the stone is made using the newer moissanite material (4H SiC)? Also, what is the cut of the stone? Certain cuts like crushed ice show more color than others.

The newer moissanite material should not be showing color, it's typically the older stones (think forever brilliant, forever classic) that uses the old material which has the yellow/green tinge.

3. Mary1111

Mary1111
    Expand Collapse

Hi... This is the description straight off the site.. and seems to see when they say ghi color and whiter and brighter than ever I should not have a ring that is obviously a yellow green tinge straight out of the box? .. Is it possible that if I got sent another I would have a whiter to the eye stones.. or are all of these the same from this forever brilliant line going to look Identical and their Idea of ghi white color just isn't the same as mine?

Forever Brilliant Moissanite stones are up to four grades whiter than conventional moissanite, and offer exceptional brilliance and scintillation.This ForeverBrilliant ring employs 2 7/10ct created moissanite made toperfection. With never before seen near-colorless shades, thisring's stunning high polish finish makes this 14k white goldhalo-style ring glow in beauty.

• G-H-I Near colorless moissanite
    • Gemstone shapes: Round
    • One prong-set round-cut moissanite measures 7.5 mm wide
    • Gemstone weight: 1 1/2 carats

4. blushfiend

blushfiend
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

@Mary1111 ,Forever Brilliant is still made from 6H material i.e. the older moissanite material that gives off the green / yellow tinge. I am unsure what they did to make it look like GHI color, but it appears that the stones that you have give off that appearance!

I would suggest sticking to the newer moissanites (the 4H SiC material which does not have the tinge) and also one that is well cut to minimize the milky/plasticky look. It appears a lot of these big brands seem to be inconsistent with their cuts (i.e. one stone can look great while another is not), so get a trusted vendor to handpick a beautiful stone would likely be your best bet, or get an Amora to see it in person. There's a lot of vendors who offer moissanites these days (bigger brands and smaller boutique brands) ever since C&C's patent expired so you have a fair bit of choice.

5. Mary1111

Mary1111
    Expand Collapse

yeah I hear you, however... one big caveat here is I got this one at an incredibly low price.. to do what you are suggesting will be more than double and I'm just not sure this bugs me enough to shell it out. Ironically, I woke up this morning and grabbed it off the bedside table and it looked a bit green to me.. again my husband didn't see it. but I spent the morning walking around trying to take pictures inside, outside, under lights everywhere and not one time could I discern the difference.. maybe i'm just being way too finicky. I mean it is NOT a diamond and is it realistic for me to expect it will look identical to a diamond.. no.

6. Mary1111

Mary1111
    Expand Collapse

I have just tried to walk around again in all sorts of lighting and for whatever reason today.. out in the rain, inside in dim light under fluorescents whatever I am not seeing at all the same blatant change in color I kept seeing yesterday they look pretty dang good. So I just am perplexed at how fickle a gemstone can be, I don't understand it at all.. it seems more like a mood ring LOL. I think I need to just chill out, I got a supper deal for this ring relative to everything else I looked at so.. Do you see any real concern here.. who knew it was so hard to take pictures of rings.. one was taken in kitchen under fluorescent lights, the other taken outside in the rain.. my band has gh colored diamonds for reference sake. .. I swear to you there are times I look at it and they don't look remotely the same... I do see a smidge of that green hue coming out in the bottom picture taken outside in the clouds... Go figure. IMG_6422.jpg IMG_6423.jpg

7. Dana ♥

Dana ♥
    Expand Collapse
    The Centenary Diamond

i don't really have any feedback about the Moissanite, but in looking at your diamond band? it looks like you've got a chip in the middle stone, right under the prong...
    there's nothing wrong with putting a chip under a prong, to protect it, but it looks like the prong might be touching the stone that much, there over the damaged area.

i'm not sure if what i'm seeing is accurate, based on the photo, or if this is something you're already aware of.

you might want your local jeweler to take a look at that to make sure the diamond is still OK and that the prong is secure.

last thing, if you're going to wear these two stacked, you might want to put the thin diamond band between them. it looks like the outer edges of your diamond band will rub up against the Moissanite ring, and that will put pressure on the diamonds and risk either further damage or popping one out if the two pieces push together too hard. putting the thin band between them as a spacer would protect both pieces.

8. avafox

avafox
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

I'm completely colour sensitive like a crazy lady too, you aren't the only one. My moissy band looked yuck in overcast weather last week but most of the time it looks amazing! My partner doesn't get it either! :)

9. Mary1111

Mary1111
    Expand Collapse

Ok Folks.. Can someone please explain this?.. So the Moissy ring above that I was questioning the color on.. well, had it 3 whole weeks and the stones fell out.. NOT HAPPY!.. So I am returning it for refund.. However I loved the setting and size so went on a quest to find another same size for great price and found one on ebay. The guy had great feedback and return policy.. the rings are identical with the exception of ONE thing.. The one that fell apart.. was Forever Brilliant.. the new one is Forever Classic. They do have slight hints of yellow in certain light but for the most part they show very white, .. next to the forever brilliant that is being returned WHITER.. Can someone explain this? I'm much happier I like a touch of warmth, to me they just look like nice older diamonds with a little character.. The Forever One I had gotten first was Too white and just looked fake to me.. That forever brilliant ring.. the green yellow cast it would take on was almost a pukey green albeit beautiful in flourescent light.. I thought i had lost my mind trying another ring I might need to return going DOWN to the classic..but honestly this ring is no where near as flakey acting as the forever brilliant that fell apart. I'm just trying to understand how all I have read is stay away from the classics they show too much color.. to find that this one looks whiter to the eye in same setting and same size stones? Any thoughts? .. I'm liking this on enough to investigate buying something for my right hand, but based on what came to me is it possible that my FB ring was a fluke that just ended up on the low end of the scale and I got Lucky on the classic and got one that leaned to the whiter side face up so that it canceled it out? Or is it just that is how they will be and I'm realizing I prefer the classics over the other two?

10. Mary1111

Mary1111
    Expand Collapse

11. Mary1111

Mary1111
    Expand Collapse

Hi Dana.. I meant to respond to this.. yes Im aware of the chip.. those diamonds are ancient, came out of my grandmothers ring and we just had them all put back together... is way more noticable in that photo, I can't see it in person. IN fact I had forgotten the jeweler told me it was chipped til you mentioned..but glad you did it will remind me to keep it checked.

12. Dana ♥

Dana ♥
    Expand Collapse
    The Centenary Diamond

oh yay! i'm glad you knew about it already, then. i'd just be heartbroken for you if you looked down one day and saw a stone missing, especially knowing now that they're your grandmama's diamonds.

there's nothing wrong with a chip, and having it protected by a prong is the best way to keep wearing it. that prong might just need to be lengthened just a tad so it can curve a little farther over the top of the diamond just to make sure everything is nice and secure.