I'm so confused! H&A moissy vs FB vs Diamonna...

Discussion in 'Moissanite Forum' started by Mschichi, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Mschichi

Mschichi
    Expand Collapse

hello lovely ladies

I've given up on owing a Amora gem ultra (I've been waiting for nearly 2 years :-( )

So I'm now doing some research, and getting confused lol on three choices

H&A moissy
    Forever brilliant by Charles Colvard
    DIamonna

I'm so sorry if this has been asked before but what is the main difference between a Forever One against a H&A moissy from Moissanite website???

According to the moissy site I read this ....."The C&C Forever One round brilliant is cut to maximize the fire and brilliance in the stone. The H&A cut is faceted like a diamond "

Really, at the end of the day I want a sparkly stone, that's durable, near colourless (E/F) and can almost pass as a diamond.

I would love any advise.

2. Queen of Sparkle

Queen of Sparkle
    Expand Collapse
    Connoisseur

If sparkle is what you want,Forever One is the sparkliest. The H&A stones are faceted the same way as a diamond. Charles & Colvard found that when they cut Moissy like a diamond it lost some of it's fire & sparkle,so they invented their own form of Round Brilliant cut especially for Moissanite which actually maximises the fire,brilliance & sparkle of the stone.
    Some people prefer their stone to have a diamond like cut & are happy to forgo the extra sparkle & fire.Some prefer a stone with less fire.

All of the above stones are near colourless,durable & can pass as diamonds.
    Diamonna appears to have a very nice cut,the arrows are subtle.All are made from the same material.Hope this helps :)

3. Mschichi

Mschichi
    Expand Collapse

Thanks but I'm stilled confused lol

Is the mossy H&A just a Charles & Colvard mossy but cut better?

I'm looking at the mossyco web site and they have: forever one as well as H&A moissy.....I'm like what? Aren't they the same thing??

4. Brooklyn18

Brooklyn18
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

It's the same crystalline structure as the F1, it's just created by a different company, I believe they grow their own rough though. Recently on a different forum a guy bought Amora Gem, DiaMonna, H&A, and the Neo Diamond cut and they all look basically the same (except the AG the cut is totally different). The Neo is the cheapest the DiaMonna the most expensive.

F1 is a different cut than H&A. It's the splintery cut vs the thicker arrows that look more diamond like.

Here's the Vimeo where he has a bunch of videos of all the stones, so far he has sent back the AG (didn't like the cut) and the H&A Moissy (said there was more fire than he'd like but that may be what others want) and he's still debating between DiaMonna and Neo:

Chris

5. Mschichi

Mschichi
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Brooklyn. That video by Chris is a great help.

Just read your post too. Trying to clarify which stone is more splintery? The F1 or the H&A?

6. Brooklyn18

Brooklyn18
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

F1 has a very splintery cut to maximize its sparkle, H&A has a more diamond like cut!

7. mshzzle

mshzzle
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

From a scintillation, brilliance and sparkle aspect, the F1 cut is far superior in optical performance if you get a properly cut gem. But, yes it does not have proportions to that of a diamond. Anyone who is familiar with diamond proportions will be able to spot it on a loose stone pretty easily. However, in a setting it's much harder to see.

I've put several F1 under up to 288x magnification and I can tell you that the accuracy of the F1 cut is still very crappy overall. I have 1, just 1 F1 I have seen that has been certified a EX/EX/EX cut grade.

You will still see "Good" "fair" and "very good" proportions on a Foorever One cut in certain aspects of symmetry and cut accuracy. That's been proven many times with people sending them in for laser scan grading. I've looked through a lot of reports and only a select few come up EX/EX/EX, and these were pre-screened with loops and inspection prior to sending. Th ebest of the best, and only a small number of those come back EX/EX/EX. So don't expect to order a F1 from C&C and you're guaranteed a great cut, because it will likely be crap.

If you get a truly excellent cut Forever One, it's sparkle and fire are unreal. If you put it under good magnification and can manipulate light sources, you can see that it does exhibit a "hearts and arrows" type pattern, but the arrows are very narrow and skinny. This is that "splintery" look that you see with the normal eye. I personally don't mind it at all, given it's optical performance exceeds diamond and all other H&A cut moissy including Amora S.H.E. if it's cut properly.

Now if BTD would cut Mossiy in the C&C proportions with their extreme accuracy and superior polishing, you would have a blindingly sparkly and stunning gem. The Amora cut, and all the other H&A cuts only scores in the middle of the "Very Good" in optical performance in comparison to a properly cut Forever One which scores very high on the "Excellent" spectrum on the scale. The difference to the naked eye is significant.

Let me add that an exceptionally cut H&A Diamond will score in the "Excellent" range for optical performance. Exceptionally cut H&A Moissy will not.

#7 mshzzle, Dec 1, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  8. wiigal

wiigal
    Expand Collapse
    Mentor

mshzzle: so where does one get their hands on an EX/EX/EX excellent cut F1 stone?

mmascall likes this.
  9. Brooklyn18

Brooklyn18
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

Yes, how do you get an exceptionally cut F1 then??

10. Queen of Sparkle

Queen of Sparkle
    Expand Collapse
    Connoisseur

Personally,I would choose to purchase from a company like MoCo who screen all their stones for cut quality prior to releasing them for sale.I have read about the amount of stones they send back to C&C due to nail heads & fish eyes etc
    so at least you can be sure of a decent stone from places like them.I guess you would have to order a few to examine closely to get the best of the best.I have to say that all the stones I have from them have been stunners, showing their slender arrows, with outstanding fire,brilliance & luster :)

11. Brit

Brit
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that mshzzle got his stone from Fire and Ice. They sell stone C&C F1 stones with grading reports (Imagem). The price is premium but you know the stats of the stone before you buy it. Looks like the have several ExExEx'sin stock in, several cuts too.

12. mmascall

mmascall
    Expand Collapse
    Connoisseur

Did you mean Fire & Brilliance?

13. Brit

Brit
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

Yes yes yes!!! Thanks!!!

kmeltzoff likes this.
  14. wiigal

wiigal
    Expand Collapse
    Mentor

Where on the Fire and Brilliance site do they provide a report for the stone? Can you post a link? Sorry...tried looking but didn't see it with the loose stones. Perhaps I am looking at the wrong place on their website.

15. mmascall

mmascall
    Expand Collapse
    Connoisseur

16. wiigal

wiigal
    Expand Collapse
    Mentor

Thanks for the link! I see it is a few hundred more than the standard price if you want to have the grading report and view the stone by video before purchasing.

17. mshzzle

mshzzle
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

Best way know how is to hand pick one.
    That is correct, however the optical performance grade is also very important. Mine scores 353 for intensity, which is a highly noticeable vs other cut moissy that score "excellent" in the range as low as 161. The stones with the highest scores for brilliance sparkle and intensity also have (not surprisingly) the best cut grades.

I should note that, even with a EX/EX/EX+ stone cut grading, it is still not nearly as precisely cut as an Amora, but again, Amora is not cut to optimal proportions for maximum optical performance for the material. You will not find a C&C with as precise a cut as Amora. Will never happen.

It list axial, girdle and table symmetry grades in the report. Make sure all are graded Excellent. Not all of them are.

You are also guaranteed a Color Grade and a clarity grade. Mine is D VVS2

rory12 likes this.
  18. mshzzle

mshzzle
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

Yes.

But pay attention to the grading reports.

Not all of these certified moissanites are worth the grading report and extra cost.

Only the EX/EX/EX cuts with optical performance grades deep into the Excellent grade (Brilliance of at least 180, Sparkle of at least 80 and Intesity of at least 300) are the ones you want. Don't bother with anything else.

Carat, Color and clarity grades are to your preference obviously.

Many of their certified stones fall short on a couple of these measures. Very few of their certified stones are actually exceptional.

Ada Fridley and mmascall like this.
  19. wiigal

wiigal
    Expand Collapse
    Mentor

Thanks for the explanation!! It helps to evaluate those reports. According to your guidelines, I see most stoned they have for sale fall short of the benchmark. I guess it is only worth the extra few hundred if it is truly exceptionally cut.

20. mshzzle

mshzzle
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

Exactly.