I really need help ....stone reads as diamond

Discussion in 'Jewelry Forum' started by Dreamin_sqaw, May 2, 2018.

1. Dreamin_sqaw

Dreamin_sqaw
    Expand Collapse

I have a ring that is 14Kt and has 2 stones. A small clear diamond and a bigger red "dianond" ... My diamond tester reads it as a diamond.. I have tested other pieces that I know are and are not diamonds , and the results are true to the stone.
    This ring has been packed away for years and while digging some jewelry out to test while I was playing around with my new diamond tester , a diamond selector ii, I happened to test this ring. I would have thought at first glance it may be a Ruby.
    And thoughts here ? Will a Ruby test as a diamond for some reason ?
    I'm both excited and anxious about the ring . But I am trying to keep it under control to help with the " ah-Man's" that may come later lol .
    Any thoughts ? Suggestions?
    Thanks so much

2. Dreamin_sqaw

Dreamin_sqaw
    Expand Collapse

Forgot to let you know that I have also done the black light test as well

3. TheFloweringEarth

TheFloweringEarth
    Expand Collapse
    Craving

a red moissanite will test as diamond :)

4. Dreamin_sqaw

Dreamin_sqaw
    Expand Collapse

The flowering earth , I have a moissanite tester as well. It also says diamond .

5. Dreamin_sqaw

Dreamin_sqaw
    Expand Collapse

I think I need help with operating the tester. Sometimes it lights up really really fast and others seem like I have to leave it on the stone a lil longer but it still climbs to a diamond reselt

6. TheFloweringEarth

TheFloweringEarth
    Expand Collapse
    Craving

Wow...red diamond then? Did you take it to a jeweler yet?

7. TheFloweringEarth

TheFloweringEarth
    Expand Collapse
    Craving

my tester says to set it on 2 bars....and also, I recall reading that repeated testing ...at one time - like one right after the other....will heat the stone and the tester might then fail to test correctly that time....then you might need to let the stone cool and test it again if you need to. If it is a small stone...I can set it up another bar. I have a dial adjustment on the side.

8. Dreamin_sqaw

Dreamin_sqaw
    Expand Collapse

Flowering ,
    I have not taken it to jeweler yet. I'm trying my best to find out what it is first so that they cant scam me over to much. Because if my results stand true to diamond it will be for sale Lol. I love to learn anyhow.
    I have been trying to make sure it isn't a ruby. It can pass for it . But would a ruby reads as diamond ? On both testers?

9. Dreamin_sqaw

Dreamin_sqaw
    Expand Collapse

IMG_20180512_054841.jpg
    IMG_20180512_054841.jpg IMG_20180512_054921.jpg

10. diamondangel

diamondangel
    Expand Collapse
    BTD Crown Jewel

Not sure if the comments on this video will help or not, but here you go:

Chances are you just don't have your tester set right, but if it is a red diamond, you're rich!

Direct link to video: https:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3qoQ5Ueqx4 (take the two spaces out after the //)

11. Dreamin_sqaw

Dreamin_sqaw
    Expand Collapse

Thanks diamondangel,
    I have watched a few of those videos. I have checked it with the sensitivity wide open to nothing. Still getting diamond. It's really got me scratching my head here. Lol. My very first thought was ruby. Had it not been for the diamond that is on the ring I may never would have tried to test it.
    I am still out of luck on trying to find who made this ring. It is stamped with 3 letters (WHS) that I cannot find on the internet yet.
    I collect costume pieces and I'm forever reading about what I have and usually locate all the info I need , but this on has me stumped .

As much as I would love to dream big and wish for an easier life , I know I have to keep my head in the real world and get my butt back up for work in the mornings lol just keep dreaming of hitting the lottery like everyone else lol
    Thanks

12. TheFloweringEarth

TheFloweringEarth
    Expand Collapse
    Craving

I went to youtube link provided and read the comments as suggested - and many said that their rubies test diamond. I did notice that it seemed he set his tester way low...I think my instructions on my tester have us start at 2 bars for regular testing - then for smaller stones...3 I think. I imagine it is different for different brands of testers.

13. Dreamin_sqaw

Dreamin_sqaw
    Expand Collapse

I will thanks to you both. I appreciate your help.

Also, I compared the testing results from different pieces I have , real and fake. I set the sensitivity the same on all of them. It is still reading as diamond on it and of course the fake didn't read at all.
    So I took them to a local jewelry store. My test pieces and my tester.
    She was stumped . After her doing the same pattern , she used my tester and the 2 store testers that she had read diamond to her too. But only on 1 of them. So she gave me the name of a jeweller in
    another store to see what he says. She said she was a clerk and didn't have the expertise he has. I decided to buy another tester to use on it. Just to help me put my own mind at ease.

I read an article online about where to set the signal lights to... Still getting diamond results. I guess my best chance right now is to wait and try it out.

This is exciting , frustrating, stressful and hopeful all at the same time!

I'm using diamond selector 2 . If you know anything about it that could help me out please let me know. I got so many different "rules" that people say I need to follow for testing that it can become overwhelming.
    thanks again