Head Spinning.. Advice on buying Moissanite Ring

Discussion in 'Moissanite Forum' started by Mary1111, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Mary1111

Mary1111
    Expand Collapse

Hi All.. I think I've finally decided that I'd like a nice moissanite ring.. It will be paired with my 5 diamond band when worn. The diamonds in the band I have been told are g-h color.. they have a rich color to me, don't know how else do explain it..but I love that, they were my grandmothers and just have an older feel to them even though they are not OEC but round cut. .. At any rate, I want the moissanite that I choose to be similar, so I am assuming that means I do NOT want the ones that claim to be colorless?.. but I don't want it to be yellow either.. so what am I targeting?

Also, other than loupe troop, ebay, diamond bistro and sometimes Etsy.. are there any other places I might look for pre-loved rings?

Any places that have best pricing? this is truly going to be an "Extra" .. not needed but I just dang want it ring .. so trying to keep my husband from raising eyebrows too much on this purchase.

Also, I notice many people will tout, this is "a charles and Covard" etc, but then there are people that just say Moissanite.. who else MAKES moissanite, ? Should they all be able to tell me who makes the stone ? i'm so new to it I just don't really understand it all .. Sorry for sounding so dense!

2. talk-admin

talk-admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Mary,
    Regarding the color of your diamonds - G/H color is still quite white...so if you are saying you see a "rich color" to them, then they are most likely J/K range. These will have a more noticeable warmth to them.
    Also note that when mounted, if you mount it in white metal, the color grade effectively jumps a color or two by virtue of the white metal reflecting into it.

Anyway based on your description I suspect your diamonds are are I/J/K color. I and J are the low end of 'near colorless' and will show some degree of warmth in most lighting (esp sunlight).

You are correct that you don't want D-E-F, which is basically pure white or 'colorless'.

Thus, it sounds like you would be best to look for an I or J color center stone. If it is well cut, then it will give you some warmth but not overt tint and still have lots of fire and brilliance.

Hope that helps!
    Less

3. Mary1111

Mary1111
    Expand Collapse

thank you for your response, I always felt like looking at them they were probably an I-J.. GUESSING.. I was surprised when the jeweler ordered a replacement stone and went lighter,.. and I have to say it matches the others so.?? .. it is set in a yellow band with platinum prongs, could that be it? regardless I love the ring.. I just found a 3 stone 3ctw preowned c and c ring I really like reasonably priced but it has the "c and c classic".. from what I can tell that would be in the i-j color? .. so hard to tell from pictures, I see a bit of yellow in the pictures but to be fair the background has yellow in it.. so who knows.. do you think a C and C classic would be a safe bet?.. I suppose I can return it.. but I do think I'd rather lean to a touch of color than white color..if Im going to have it up against these rings. ??

4. Mary1111

Mary1111
    Expand Collapse

and Less.. just to clarify.. when you say it "Jumps a color or two" when set in white.. do you mean up the white scale or the other way? I was always told that if a stone had any color to it and was in white.. that would magnify the color.. and if it had any color put in yellow it would look whiter. Seems you are saying the opposite?

5. talk-admin

talk-admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Mary,
    Ah yes - if these are set in yellow gold then that's definitely going to impart some color into the stone...so that's what you are seeing. G/H but set in yellow gold will look warmer than the same in white metal (platinum, palladium, white gold).

Also, to clarify by my "jumping in color" = it goes towards being whiter. In other words, an H color set in white metal may look like a G (or one color grade jump).

By the way - this issue of the color of the metal influencing the color of the stone is *exactly* why GIA and all grading labs insist color can only be graded with the stone loose! Once it is loose and put into an all white light box, then you can see the true color with no other influence.

Re: C&C classic - we used to take those and then enhance their color, but they ran anywhere from I-K color to the occasional M,N color! There is a lot of variability in those, not only in color, but also clarity, cut grade, polish, everything.
    Cut grade is your other important factor and that's an area C&C does not score well in at all. So just like color, it's all over and usually not in a good way.

Thus, make sure you always have a very secure return option!

Hope that helps,
    Less

6. Mary1111

Mary1111
    Expand Collapse

thank you for the explanations! I appreciate it.

talk-admin likes this.