Figured I'd say hello

Discussion in 'Jewelry Forum' started by poeticcreator, Apr 15, 2018.

1. poeticcreator

poeticcreator
    Expand Collapse
    Curious

Hi, my name is Greg, and I have a problem LOL. I have had a passion for jewelry for years (Diamonds in particular, but I love all gems as well). I figured I would show off a little bit of what I have collected over the years (and had my designs custom made). I tend to bargain hunt at pawn shops, as it is a good way to pick up diamonds for a good price. Nearly all of my diamonds and pieces have come from pawn shops. The blue enamel ring is one of my custom designs. It had to be remade because of damage (you can see the difference in the pictures), and they never got the color right on it...... maybe one of these days I will feel like parting with it long enough for them to get it right once again. The huge diamond ring is one of my recent purchases. It will be going into a ring I am working on designing currently. It is 2.31ct K SI2 (nice and eye clean). The princess cut rings are going to be going towards a project in the future. I am always trading out and upgrading things when I find things that interest me. I would eventually like to get into making my own jewelry. I have also given some consideration to going to GIA to become a graduate gemologist sometime in the future as well. 111 20151112_142729.jpg 111 20151112_142809.jpg 111 20160113_231451.jpg 111 20170830_214025.jpg 111 20180415_080206.jpg 111 20180415_080253.jpg 111 20180415_080437.jpg 111 20180415_080520.jpg 111 20180415_080934.jpg 111 20180415_080545.jpg

2. talk-admin

talk-admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Greg,
    Thanks for post and the photos of your collection! I wouldn't say you have a problem, rather you have a passion!

Regarding your comment above about considering getting into making your own jewelry and/or getting your graduate gemologist diploma, I would decide based on whether your interest is the jewelry itself (design and manufacture) vs. the loose gems/diamonds.
    If loose gems/diamonds, then GIA graduate.
    If the jewelry itself is more appealing, then look at either learning CAD design and 3D modeling, or possibly look at getting bench skills if you are interested in setting/finishing.

I did the GIA diamonds coursework and there's basically nothing at all about jewelry, it's all about the loose stones/diamonds. So a big difference in terms of what path to pursue at least initially.

Hope that helps!
    Less

poeticcreator likes this.
  3. poeticcreator

poeticcreator
    Expand Collapse
    Curious

I would really like to get into design and manufacturing of jewelry. I was figuring on doing the GIA program just for the knowledge, as my employer pays for tuition for anything you want to pursue. I have always wanted to try out making jewelry from scratch, but don't really know where to start at getting the experience. Maybe I should just jump in head first and buy the tools that are needed, and give it a shot.

4. Dana ♥

Dana ♥
    Expand Collapse
    The Centenary Diamond

Wow! That's amazing.

There are places that have jewelry-making classes, some are a one-off (just one long class where you learn how, and then make, one ring/bracelet/etc), others are a few weeks where you learn (and make) different types of pieces.
    I've taken several - for my own personal entertainment - but that was nearly 20 years ago at this point.

i'd suggest checking around to see if there are any classes like that around to see if you like the feel of it before investing too much in tools. have some fun, though!

poeticcreator likes this.
  5. poeticcreator

poeticcreator
    Expand Collapse
    Curious

I have looked around in my area, and I found a silversmithing class similar to what you were talking about. I plan to sign up to take it this summer. I know there are jewelry making forums out there, I might have to look into them and see if there is someone in my area that would be interested in training me in more advanced aspects of jewelry making. There is also a ton of youtube tutorials available, of which I have watched a great many already. The tools really aren't all that costly ($3-4K overall) and many can be bought used from ebay (like a kiln, and vacuum table for lost wax casting). All of which hold reasonable resale value if I decide it's not for me. I guess I will take that class and see how it goes.