Duvet Insert Question

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop' started by Jsmith8, May 14, 2010.

1. Jsmith8

Jsmith8
    Expand Collapse
    Connoisseur

I didn't want to thread hijack so I decided to start another thread.

Ever since BG started her bedroom renovation thread, my FH and I have been interested in redoing our bedroom and living room as well. We're actually going through a quasi-eco friendly renovation kick and even are saving for a organic mattress. [​IMG]

We took a couple of trips- home depot, west elm, ikea, target, etc and have narrowed it down to two different bedding options. Both of our bedding options have a duvet instead of a comforter.

I have never had a duvet before so I don't really know much about duvets or their inserts. Everywhere I have looked has had two duvet insert options- Down/Lyocell Down Fill and Down-Alternative.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">My question is:</span> what is the difference and which is better? Does anyone have a duvet insert, if so- which type and how do you like it?

Bonus question: These are the two bedding options we are deciding between currently... which do you like better?

Option 1: Green Links Bedding
    http://www.westelm.com/products/b513/?pkey=call-bedding

Option 2: Organic Bloom Bedding
    http://www.westelm.com/products/b494/?pkey=call-bedding

#1 Jsmith8, May 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2016
  2. Blingaholic

Blingaholic
    Expand Collapse
    BTD Crown Jewel

i own 4 down-filled comforters of different sizes and 2 alternative down comforters. the down comforters are always really warm, but we sometimes get feathers floating around the room. i dry clean my comforters at the end of the winter every year, which is a pain.

i love love love the alternative down. it's just cotton fiber, but it mimics down and it's warm enough that i don't get over heated at night. and it's washer/dryer friendly, which is a big plus for me! and down alternative is a lot cheaper.

bonus question: option #2 [​IMG]

#2 Blingaholic, May 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2016
  3. Lyta

Lyta
    Expand Collapse
    Omniscient

I don't know about the insert differences. We have a down comforter from Ikea. I guess the down alternative is for those people who are allergic to down otherwise it is basically the same?

I like the green bedding! [​IMG]

#3 Lyta, May 14, 2010
  4. Dana ♥

Dana ♥
    Expand Collapse
    The Centenary Diamond

i have three or four down comforters, but my husband is always hot so i don't ever get to use them anymore... i have lightweight, medium weight and heavy (it had a subzero/arctic rating) weight ones.
    i've got a throw that's the "down alternative" but to me it just feels like the same kind of polyfill that's in regular comforters.
    i like it, don't get me wrong, but for the price it cost i guess i was expecting something nicer?

i've also got a large assortment of comforter covers (or duvet covers, as some catalogs call them), which i just use over existing comforters we already have...rather than getting one of the "duvet inserts".

#4 Dana ♥, May 14, 2010
  5. Bronwyn

Bronwyn
    Expand Collapse
    Connoisseur

I had real and fake. I like fake because it's lighter, you can wash/dry it, no feathers to poke through, and cheaper. To get real dry cleaned for king size it was about $40, they get incredibly heavy. I got mine off eBay and other at bed bath and beyond. Get the clips or you will go insane! Like two sets! It bunches up alot. I used to use duvets a lot but I just stick to my light blanets, I use a supersoft fluffy one from target of the simply shabby chic line and then I just have a nice comforter for summer and winter, brown for winter, light blue for summer.

I love the green one!!

6. erised

erised
    Expand Collapse
    Connoisseur

i only used to have the polyfil comforters that used to come with the bed-in-a-bag sets. then i got a pricey down comforter from bed, bath, and beyond. it was nice, and really warm, but i agree with bronwyn, get at least two sets of duvet clips. it became enough of a pain for me that we ended up getting rid of it. now we actually just use a quilted blanket. it's pretty warm in our apartment, so it's enough.

p.s. of the two sets you linked, i like the green (links) one better.

7. diamondangel

diamondangel
    Expand Collapse
    BTD Crown Jewel

I have comforters, both down and down alternative, as well as duvets and bedspreads. I LOVE my down alternative comforter because I can stick it into the washer and dryer without it becoming a federal project. I absolutely DETEST duvets because they never seem to fit just right with the inserted comforter. There always seems to be some unfilled area, or it shifts around, etc.

8. hayesbunch7

hayesbunch7
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

I like the green one. It reminds me of wedding knots in a way, twined together like that.

9. KathyL94

KathyL94
    Expand Collapse
    Mentor

I have 2 down comforters and they used to have duvets, but they were such a PITA I threw them away!!

10. Inna

Inna
    Expand Collapse
    Smitten

I don't like Duvets either!!!! The corners never get filled [​IMG]

#10 Inna, May 17, 2010
  11. sparklee

sparklee
    Expand Collapse
    The Millenium Star

I'm originally from SA and we only had duvets, not comforters, so I'm used to them. Ours come with little ties in the corners so that you can attach them to the inside of the duvet cover and that way they always stay in place. I have bought a few covers here in the States and have sewed my own little ties to the inside. Works great!

Our duvets are down, and I just throw it in the washer once a month. In summer, however, we change to a thin blanket as hubby and I both sleep hot!

12. Jsmith8

Jsmith8
    Expand Collapse
    Connoisseur

Update: My fh and I went to West Elm and to my pleasant surprise, my fh preferred a bedding set in which I never imagined he would like!

http://www.westelm.com/products/b514/?pkey=call-bedding

All of the West Elm duvet covers have button closure. I'm not sure what these "clips" you all are referring to but hopefully, button closure is a positive.

#12 Jsmith8, May 17, 2010
  13. KathyL94

KathyL94
    Expand Collapse
    Mentor

The clips are supposed to keep the comforter in the right place inside the duvet. Without them the comforter tends to get all bunched up in the bottom of the duvet...very annoying!! Buttons just keep the duvet closed, they don't do anything to keep the comforter in place.

14. Bronwyn

Bronwyn
    Expand Collapse
    Connoisseur

Pretty. Ya they are sort of like padded clothes pins. Pottery barn has the duvets with strings in the corners or they did. eBay has vendors that sell last seasons stuff for cheap. Strings work out the best.

15. Dana ♥

Dana ♥
    Expand Collapse
    The Centenary Diamond

ooh! now that one's pretty!

and i've never heard of duvet clips, either.

16. Lyta

Lyta
    Expand Collapse
    Omniscient

I really like that last set you posted! I am going to have to try to add strings to my duvets then. The clips never worked right for me ... or I couldn't figure them out. [​IMG]

#16 Lyta, May 17, 2010
  17. simgirl

simgirl
    Expand Collapse
    Connoisseur

I have adown comforter I got of Overstock. I love it! I never have feathers poking through and I jsut toss it in the wahser and dryer too. I forget which one it is but I did a lot of research before buying.
    Anyway I love my duvet covers, the comforter doesn't seemt to move too much inside it either.. I'm a stickler for 100 percent cotton though, perhaps if its poly it slides more?

18. erised

erised
    Expand Collapse
    Connoisseur

i love that set you got!!! and you can get duvet cover clips in any homegoods store. i got mine at bed bath and beyond. i got the round "push-through" type. and yes, multiple sets are a good thing...never tried the strings. sounds interesting, but i doubt i'd go back to a duvet cover.

#18 erised, May 19, 2010