Does moissanite fluoresce?

Discussion in 'Moissanite Forum' started by Lilith, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Lilith

Lilith
    Expand Collapse
    Curious

If so, what kind of range are we talking in terms of hue? I've heard of it fluorescing yellow-green, and am wondering if that's the only kind, or if it ever fluoresces blue ....

2. Lilith

Lilith
    Expand Collapse
    Curious

Nobody? Feel free to answer more generally - like, has anybody checked theirs out under a black-light? I'd be very curious to know what kinds of things people have seen ....

3. MrsMike_C

MrsMike_C
    Expand Collapse
    The Florentine Diamond

I'm sorry I didn't see this before. I've never seen any of my moissanites fluoresce blue, and I have been in black light with moissanite before. I'm not convinced that moissanite does fluoresce, however.

Florescence is caused when the electrons of the stone are excited to a certain speed. When a diamond comes comes into contact with a black light, the wavelength is at the speed that creates blue light. If moissanite does in fact fluoresce, then my theory is that it is at a higher speed than diamond. But again, I don't think it does, otherwise enhancements would not be effective.

4. Rusalka

Rusalka
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

I don't think any of mine fluoresce but I have seen a fluorescent yellow effect the unenhanced RB stone takes on in some lighting. Looks neat [​IMG]

#4 Rusalka, Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2016
  5. talk-admin

talk-admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Moissanite is generally not fluorescent. I've never seen it show in any of the ones that we have had graded at a gem lab.

However, I think what you really mean is it whether it exhibits some aspects of 'metamerism'. This means that it can appear slightly different tints depending on the lighting, and the answer to that is definitely yes.

Moissanite is not quite able to bond it's electrons tightly enough to make it truly colorless (vs. say Amora Gem and Diamond, both of which hold electrons more tightly and thus are truly 'colorless' gems.

Depending on the type of lighting you may see secondary tinting, usually yellow or yellow-green.

It will not tint blue like a diamond for example (unless it was doped with boron or aluminum expressly, which it is currently not). Diamonds fluouresce blue due to trace amounts of boron. Boron is missing one atomic bond vs carbon, so it frees up one electron per bond and thus creates the hints of blue in certain lighting.

Hope that helps,
    Less

#5 talk-admin, Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  6. Rusalka

Rusalka
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

If it is not currently doped could it mean that these listings are misrepresenting their product and it is either coated or not moissanite? Or does it mean that moissanite will ehxibit some degree of yellow regardless of its colour?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Blue-7mm-Ro...=item232922178f

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-5MM-FINE-BLUE-...=item1e78827e47

Thank you in advance for any info [​IMG]

#6 Rusalka, Mar 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2016
  7. Dana ♥

Dana ♥
    Expand Collapse
    The Centenary Diamond

i think what Less means is that the Moissanite won't *look* blue, under certain lighting conditions.

meaning a regular Moissanite, not one that was grown or tinted blue, but one that was, for lack of a better name, white.

8. talk-admin

talk-admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

My comments earlier are specific to just white color Moissanite.

Blue and Green Moissanite can be made by doping with additional elements during growth, or by applying a coating after growth. That means it is blue or green color, not fluorescing that color [​IMG]

But, the links you show are a different material than base, white Moissanite, and your question was asking about flourescence and blue, not intrinsic color of blue.

Hope that helps,
    Less

#8 talk-admin, Mar 27, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  9. Rusalka

Rusalka
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

Thank you so much for clarifying, Less!
    I was about to buy one of the blues when I remembered this thread [​IMG] Just wanted to make sure they are not going to be yellow in some lights.

#9 Rusalka, Mar 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2016