Best loose gemstone sites please

Discussion in 'Colored Gems (lab grown & natural)' started by deb34, Aug 22, 2008.

1. kimicarol

kimicarol
    Expand Collapse
    The Centenary Diamond

LOL

My apologies, I thought you were talking about people being catty about Steve's stones and I didn't see any of that going on in those threads

- I completely forgot about the little back and forth between Colormyworld and LD - yah, they don't like each other much. [​IMG]

#21 kimicarol, Jan 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2016
  2. that1spazticchik

that1spazticchik
    Expand Collapse
    Mentor

No problem. I can tell there's a little issue there... [​IMG]

#22 that1spazticchik, Jan 6, 2012
  3. m76steve

m76steve
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

Casey-this is one of the few times i use caps in my posts-my answer to u "sticks & stones" yada yada, enough, ive never posted myself to b an expert, im a hobbiest with a lot of passion for what i have, i have put many years into assembling my pendents to be some of the most unique items i & others have seen, i have talked with people who travel the world dealing in rare gems, frank scheafer out of pennsylvania is a good friend & has seen many of my items with positive results-im a hobbiest with reasonably good experience & info to back up my information & relying on the expertise of professionals to base my opinions on. u dug up some info which just shows the fractures in some of the people who were trying to help me-their true colors coming out to b viewed by all & putting themselves on negative display & not the type of role model one would expect. if u were a lawyer, i would hire u in a minute although ur evidence is a little flawed in my favor, i think. bottom line-if i see a post that i feel i can be a benifit to the person asking a question, i will give my 2 cnts. because im coming from a place that shopping for good stones at fair prices from the source can be very rewarding-ive had too much success from too many people to change that-i dont know u, we will never meet, this rant is just trying to explain my stance-with all due respect-steve...

#23 m76steve, Jan 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2016
  4. kimicarol

kimicarol
    Expand Collapse
    The Centenary Diamond

Your posting style is quite difficult to follow, so I thought I'd break up your reply to me to make it a bit easier. Not sure what the "use caps" was about because I didn't see any caps except for the capital C in Casey - perhaps that is what you were referring to.

Very adult response Steve, very informative and helpful to the other members of the board and to anyone wanting to learn about good sites to buy colored gemstones.

I reread my responses and I don't see where I ever threw "sticks and stones" at you. I never knocked your stones or your jewelry. My issue with you is your "throwing it out there with no backup" posting style on a board that is NOT made up of experienced colored stone collectors, and I take issue with many of your "blanket" statements. That's hardly sticks and stones. If I was insulting to you, you have my apology, as that was never my intention.

This thread initially was started to share the names of "reputable" loose gemstones sites, but instead of sharing any sites or names, you just tell everyone what great luck you've had buying on ebay and how all "6" of your appraisers agree with you and give you appraisals that state your stones are worth much much more than you paid for them.

Having 6 appraisers (whose names you never share) does not mean their appraisals are correct.

Steve, you seem to be very pleased with your purchases and subsequent appraisals of your purchases - that's great, I'm happy for you, but without some backup, they are only opinions and I was only trying to point that out, once again, I hardly call that sticks and stones.

Case in point, telling "u" (us...me....???) to learn to shop for gems, but still, no real advice, no links, no vendor's names.

Finally a name! Frank Scheafer in Pennsylvania - so I looked up Frank's website:

http://www.fgsgems.com/fgsgems/item_detail.asp?Type=Sapphire

Frank is a designer and cutter - not a certified gemologist, not even a certified appraiser, in his own words AN ARTIST, that runs a jewelry store, cuts stones and makes jewelry. He's likes your stuff, that's great Steve, I'm glad he is your friend, but that still doesn't prove anything, nor is it giving the members of this board helpful information for them to use in purchasing gemstones.

So I looked at some of his stones. Example: He has a ruby that is supposed to be a Burma ruby, under 2cts, on his site for sale for over $8,000 with an inhouse appraisal and his description of the ruby is: A super Ruby... Clean...Red...Right!

Really??????? No cert, no guarantee of no treatments other than traditional heat - only that it's clean, red and right and he wants over $8,000 [​IMG]

I'm not going to make any more comments on his stones or jewelry, I'll let the members here check out his website and draw their own conclusions. I'm assuming Frank is not one of those who travel the world dealing in rare gems because he does not have ONE truly rare gemstone on his site for sale.

All of his gemstones appear to have "in house" certification, which means nothing...apparently there are no independent gem lab certifications or even independent appraisals by a certified gemologist....sigh......

Then by all means share THAT information - don't just tell us what a great job you have been doing for 7 yrs and how your appraisers and friends agree with you.

The title of the thread is "best loose gemsites please". You have yet to suggest ONE site or vendor, just telling the board what a great job you have done getting your gemstones on ebay is NOT helpful to anyone, and in some case is actually quite counter productive.

So ONCE again Steve, my initial request to you - keep it real.

Share some vendors names that you feel are reputable, link some sites where you have had good luck finding good deals.....

OR if you want to keep your sources to yourself, that's ok too, but then don't go on and on about all your great deals on a thread that is all about SHARING that information.

#24 kimicarol, Jan 7, 2012
  5. kimicarol

kimicarol
    Expand Collapse
    The Centenary Diamond

And so... to put my money (literally) where my mouth is, I thought I'd share some of the vendors where I have purchased (either initially or second hand on DB) some of my favorite gemstones:

http://www.whitesgems.com/ - excellent precision cutter - a bit pricey, but his work is top notch

http://www.spectralgems.net/ I have several of Roger's gems!

http://www.precisiongem.com/Blog/PrecisiongemBlog.html

http://www.finewatergems.com/

http://www.customgemstones.com/

http://customgemstonestudio.com/tag/jim-rentfrow/

http://www.acstones.com/BB.custom.gems.html

http://www.torraca.net/gems.php?search=recent&for=recent

http://www.wgmtrading.com/

This is by no means an all-inclusive list, just a few cutters whose work I have seen in person and own (or have) owned.

#25 kimicarol, Jan 7, 2012
  6. Alexgem7777

Alexgem7777
    Expand Collapse
    Connoisseur

Great post Casey. I 100% agree that a reputable lab report is the way to go when purchasing higher cost gemstones. I stopped using an appraiser for my colored stones.

#26 Alexgem7777, Jan 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2016
  7. kangaroocrazy

kangaroocrazy
    Expand Collapse
    The Florentine Diamond

Thanks Casey,..that is a great list!!

Can you tell me WHY its so hard to find a good 7.5-8mm
    ROUND cut morganite???

8. m76steve

m76steve
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

myworld.ebay.com/2pupil, www.allgemstone.com, BangkokGemMart.com, dazzlegem, JR COLOMBIAN EMERALDS,
    finegemjewel, GemBuriOnline, Gem Line Inc, gems-bank,gemsheaven, gemsmystery_imperial, sunshingem.--these are just a few of the gem sites ive used over the past few years-all have stood behind their sales & ebay backs up all sales. for the beginner this is still a good way to start in gems. be sure to ask questions before buying if u have any reservations on purchase-hope this helps-steve...

#28 m76steve, Jan 7, 2012
  9. that1spazticchik

that1spazticchik
    Expand Collapse
    Mentor

Thanks for the list!

10. m76steve

m76steve
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

in franks defence-he has many years in the business-ive seen many of his items and they are wonderful-he cuts his own stones and does some inhouse goldwork-this is a father son business whom has business in many parts of the world-casey-dont be so quick to dis this "artist", he does know gems more than u realize-steve...

#30 m76steve, Jan 7, 2012
  11. kimicarol

kimicarol
    Expand Collapse
    The Centenary Diamond

Interesting question, I have never seen a round morganite. I suggest you check out any of the precision cutters that cut morganite and see if they have any rough. It's not an expensive stone, so perhaps a "custom request" stone won't break the bank.

#31 kimicarol, Jan 7, 2012
  12. m76steve

m76steve
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

just a heads up-JTV has some 10x12 morganite for sale which might b close to specs asked for-close to the round wanted-steve...

13. kimicarol

kimicarol
    Expand Collapse
    The Centenary Diamond

I should have said I've never seen one in person. Thaigemstore has an iffy reputation (some good - some not so good) but for the price, it might be worth the gamble.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-54ct-7-4mm-Rou...=item4cfd460637

#33 kimicarol, Jan 7, 2012
  14. kangaroocrazy

kangaroocrazy
    Expand Collapse
    The Florentine Diamond

Thanks guys!

15. VintageDime

VintageDime
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

bestcutgems.com has one Kanga. I got my morganite for my JbEG Julia from them. I would guess it has something to do with windows but I don't know for sure. Even their round stone has a "different" cut.

#35 VintageDime, Jan 7, 2012
  16. VintageDime

VintageDime
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

Do you have an alexandrite piece, Steve? I sure would love to see it. It is my MOST favorite stone!

#36 VintageDime, Jan 7, 2012
  17. that1spazticchik

that1spazticchik
    Expand Collapse
    Mentor

I could have *sworn* a board member on here somewhere has a round morganite...I can't think of who though! It's in a halo...

#37 that1spazticchik, Jan 7, 2012
  18. kangaroocrazy

kangaroocrazy
    Expand Collapse
    The Florentine Diamond

Yep,..but she got it from JTV and they have not carried them since....

19. that1spazticchik

that1spazticchik
    Expand Collapse
    Mentor

Oh, bummer [​IMG]

#39 that1spazticchik, Jan 7, 2012
  20. Dana ♥

Dana ♥
    Expand Collapse
    The Centenary Diamond

i have some round morganites from JTV, too, and they're quite pretty.

they tend to have loose rounds in every few months.