Been away too long-please help!

Discussion in 'Moissanite Forum' started by Sparkle!mom, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Sparkle!mom

Sparkle!mom
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

I had been one of the first people to jump on the moissanite bandwagon many years ago. I followed the news up through the launch of the forever brilliant Moissy. I anxiously awaited the Amora Gem and got frustrated when it was taking so long. So I kinda gave up. I have a lot of old non-enhanced moissy jewelry that sits unworn and a pretty nice Forever Brilliant round three stone from MoCo. It is nice but doesn't wow me although I do wear it. I still wonder why I went with the round brilliant as it is not really me. Since the frustration with AMORA, it seems I have missed alot! Now trying to make heads or tails out of all the new choices is impossible!
    It seems like during the waiting game for Amora many new options were presented and people seem to like some of them better. I think I also read that someone discovered Amora was really a moissy? Or maybe it was that there is now a "moissy" that is like and Amora? ACK! I go on MoCo and see Forever One, and Forever Brilliant (what the hell?) and there is Diamonna which is now apparently called something else (that took me a while to figure out!). What is an F1? Sounds like a fighter jet.
    Then add in August Vintage and Good Old Gold and NEO and some Etsy seller called JYB Jewels supposedly selling something called an ENV that only she has? What the heck is she selling? Are they moissy's? Amora's? I have literally gone cross eyed lately.
    Basically I need it in a dumb down short version my overstimulated mind can understand.
    I am looking to get a few things......I want a few simple pieces like an OEC bezel pendant, OEC studs, I would like to replace the center stone of my unenhanced Bella Halo with something that turns less goulish in the sunshine. And most importantly, at some point i want, correction, MUST HAVE, a new wedding set with an Elongated Antique Cushion. My heart has always lept out of my chest for the Leon Mege setting with the frenchie sides and JYB seems to have a setting very similiar! I think David Klass made it. But then why would I not just commission David to make it? Does she really have a monopoly on these knockout ACC stones? Looks like she is selling "colorless" center stones. Seriously? Colorless? What gives?
    I am no expert in cuts and facets, I just know what I like and want it to look as close to the real thing as possible because, heck yes, I am trying to pass it off!
    So as you can see, I have been away too long and now my head is spinning.....

2. gemcat

gemcat
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

My humble advice is to skip the moissy, F1, diamonella and all the rest. The Amora Gem is the very best of the lot and will come closer to the optics of an ACS 0 cut diamond than any other. Yes, Amora is silicone carbide, just as moissanite is. The difference is the crystal structure. Just as graphite and diamond are both carbon, but different crystal structures. Less and his team have spent literally years in perfecting the crystal structure and cutting process to turn out these "Better Than Diamonds".

talk-admin likes this.
  3. talk-admin

talk-admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi SparkleMom,
    Welcome back! I can simplify things for you - as far as I can see, there is really only three manufacturers out there producing various Silicon Carbide polytype gems:
    1- BTD (Amora),
    2 - CharlesColvard(various polytypes under three brands: Classic Moissanite, Forever Brilliant Moissanite (enhanced Moissanite), and F1 (different polytype of Silicon Carbide but they continue to call 'moissanite').
    3 - Chinese manufacturer that sells to many and various jewelers who then make up their own brand name (Diamonella, etc). This company is the reason for what would appear to a customer, as an explosion of new brands, when actually it all goes back to one single maker who just wholesales and lets jewelers everywhere make up their own brand name.

The up front costs of actually growing and making are quite high, as Silicon Carbide is difficult to grow to gem size and gem quality, so no jeweler is going to have the capital, requisite PhDs, proprietary cutting knowledge, etc. to produce their own Silicon Carbide gems.

Regarding your question of "I am no expert in cuts and facets, I just know what I like and want it to look as close to the real thing as possible because, heck yes, I am trying to pass it off! "

Here is a video of our Amora Eternity compared to an H&A diamond in office lighting:

and full spotlighting:

Finally, we do have an upcoming elongated AVC Amora cut since you indicated interest in an elongated cushion:

Amora Elongated AVC

There's a lot more info in the Amora forum but hope the above provides a short summary to get you up to speed!
    Best regards,
    Less

4. Sparkle!mom

Sparkle!mom
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

Thank you for your reply and help summing up what is out there! It seems as though it is going to be hard for me to get the "white" elongated antique cushion. I have stared and stared at so many videos and think I find one type I like best only to find out they don't make an ACC. From what I can see Amora (inevitably going to be a looooong wait) and this JYB Jewels seems like the only place I can find the stone I am looking for to replace my current E-ring.
    I am also looking for a more traditional OEC for a bezel pendant. Anyone recommend one brand over another in terms of whiteness and believability? That cut seems a bit easier to find!

5. talk-admin

talk-admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi SparkleMom,
    Our turnaround on Amora production is a lot faster and the rough for the elongated AVC is already in lasering now.

Re: OEC - most places don't make it anymore but we started offering the AVR or AV OEC this Summer. This is a super ideal OEC designed by Jonathan.
    You can see some photos of one in this thread:
    Newbie and Excited Owner of Amora AVR!

and there are some similar threads in the August Vintage forum. We've had these both in colorless (D and E) as well as J and K colors. We will not likely have anymore of the J and K though as production now is almost all D and E.

and link to our AV OEC page:
    Amora August Vintage OEC

Hope that helps!
    Less

6. Sadiebelle

Sadiebelle
    Expand Collapse
    Craving

Hi less
    I notified myself for the avc but it doesn't specify whether I have chosen the elongated or square avc. I did mention in the notes that I would like elongated, but want to make sure I am being added to the correct waitlist. Thanks!!

7. Sparkle!mom

Sparkle!mom
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

It's weird but I just looked at all the photos and videos in the link for the AV OEC Amora and my eye kept being drawn to the FB instead. While I could appreciate the obvious excellent cutting of the Amora, there was something appealing about the more random chunky look of the FB. The Amora looked more traditional round brilliant to my eye. I have a pretty strong RB aversion so maybe this is why.
    As for the waitlist-I have added myself to the waitlist for different cuts over the years and have not once been notified of anything ever coming in stock. I have my doubts if I would ever get my hands on an elongated ACC. Pretty much why I gave up and started to look at different options.

8. talk-admin

talk-admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Sadie,
    You are set - I just checked. We don't have it setup for a seperate option for elongated yet so it will flag based on the comments for now (i.e. AVC with comment elongated).
    Hope you are doing well,
    Less

Sadiebelle likes this.
  9. talk-admin

talk-admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi SparkleMom,
    We've worked our way through a large part of the waiting list but it varies based on what cut and also what color. Example - for Eternity's there is no waitlist for most main sizes in colorless, but still some waiting for G/H color. Since we rarely have G/H, those have not been notified in full yet.

If the random chunky cutting appeals to you then we could just order one from the Chinese vendor, which is exactly what you'd be getting everywhere else anyway but sold under many varying brand names. The polish is nothing great, but we can probably have it for you in two weeks. I'd have to check on pricing but let me know. I did check and we have sold all of our previous FB OEC's we had in the certified FB program.

Best regards,
    Less

10. Sparkle!mom

Sparkle!mom
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

Thank you Less! I think I will give the waitlist on the AVC Elongated another try. The sizes are all for a symmetrical stone...do I just put the dimensions in the comments section?

11. talk-admin

talk-admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi SparkleMom,
    Thanks for the opportunity - you can just put the short side as the dimension you want. (i.e. the elongated AC is 11% longer vs short side, so if you want 7 x 7.77mm, then just enter 7mm.)
    In the comments just put "elongated".

(We're working on improving the wait list to handle the elongated AVC :)

Best regards,
    Less

12. Sadiebelle

Sadiebelle
    Expand Collapse
    Craving

Thank you Less
    I am unbelievably excited to see these elongated AVCs. I've already spoken with Caysie (van B) about a design and can't wait to make this a reality.
    Thanks for checking my waitlist status. Pretty sure I'm signed up to every stone!
    Congratulations on your continuing development of this stone. You really are knocking everyone else out of the park!