Aterna

Discussion in 'Moissanite Forum' started by Herb, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Herb

Herb
    Expand Collapse

has anyone heard of the Moissanite/Carbon gem called Aterna by quorri.com? They are located in Ontario.

I live in Edmonton Alberta and am looking into buying an Oval 2+ carat Moissanite loose stone and getting it set into a ring I own.

I would like some advice. I want the most brilliant colourless Moissy I can find at the best possible price. Also I prefer to buy in Canada to avoid the poor exchange rate.

Thank you, Herb

2. mmascall

mmascall
    Expand Collapse
    Connoisseur

As far as I know, Quorri sells CZ. I checked out their site and it is not clear to me exactly what the Aterna is. Anytime a company is not clear about a product that it is selling, I would be wary. There is another company called North Star Moissanite North Star Moissanite Canada | Charles & Colvard Synthetic Diamonds | Richmond Hill, Ontario that is based in Ontario and sells finished moissanite jewellery and loose stones. There is also Vancouver Moissanite Vancouver Moissanite - Canada | Forever One™ | Engagement Rings based, you guessed it, out of Vancouver, B.C.

I know that the exchange rate is not in our favour right now but, for quality and service, you can't beat Moissaniteco.com Moissanite Jewelry Shop | MoissaniteCo.com. Even with the exchange rate and shipping charges (there are no duties, just provincial sales tax) I found them to be very competitively priced. Good luck and please post pics of your lovely once it's done!

Cricketgrrl likes this.
  3. Tracey1974

Tracey1974
    Expand Collapse
    Curious

Diamanti by Quorri doesn't sell CZ! The Aterna is a lab created gem, similar to Amora. I am sure if you actually read the Aterna info, you would easily figure that out. Look further and it is clear as day that they sell lab diamonds, Diamond Simulants, cultured gems....etc. Moissanite doesn't come close to the quality of the Aterna and there is no way you would pay less by buying from a Canadian company if you live in Canada. Do the math, it will always point back to Quorri.

4. Dana ♥

Dana ♥
    Expand Collapse
    The Centenary Diamond

sure Quorri sells CZs!

5. mmascall

mmascall
    Expand Collapse
    Connoisseur

Quorri sells CZ.

6. Herb

Herb
    Expand Collapse

So far Quorri has been very up front and professional with me. Also they have an impeccable customer satisfaction record as given by the BBB. They seem very reputable!

I am no expert by any means, but my impression is that the Aterna is the same kind of stone as the Amora Gem, but hand cut, where the Amora is machine cut.

I like the fact that there are two companies that I can buy a Moissy/Carbon Gem from. I just wish there were two manufacturers of Moissanite. With CC being the only show in town, what can stop them from charging too much? And I also don't like having to pay one or, in most cases, two middle men to buy a Moissanite gem: a distributor and a jeweller.

With the Amora and Aterna Gems, I can buy them directly from the manufactorer, and the fact that a buyer has two choices makes it way better for the consumer.

It is my understanding that the CC patten is running out and, if so, it's only a matter of time till the price of top quality Moissanite Gems comes way down to where the manufacterer only makes a fair proffit instead of a killing off joe public.

7. eventer

eventer
    Expand Collapse

There's not only one manufacturer of moissanite. There's several. Moissanite International, for example, out of Australia. Can't buy direct from them either.

I can buy a perfect rating from the BBB. Means absolutely nothing.

As far as there being two suppliers of the Amora Gem, because you believe the Aterna to be the same, that isn't true and it doesn't create any competition.

I don't really think it's common to be able to buy directly from the manufacturer in today's consumer market. Almost all products go through some degree of distribution. You don't buy a diamond straight from the guy who pulled it from the ground or who cut it.

mmascall likes this.
  8. mmascall

mmascall
    Expand Collapse
    Connoisseur

@Herb As eventer pointed out, there are now several brands of moissanite on the market. The patent expired September, 2015. Check out JHollywood Designs at J Hollywood Designs on Instagram scroll to the bottom for her blog and instagram pages comparing various brands.

Again, checking their site, it's not clear what exactly the Aterna is. Quorri states that it is a "lab created diamond gem" yet state that "it's more rate, more brilliant than a diamond" - so which is it? A lab grown diamond or something else that is comprised of "50% carbon?" When a company dances around what they are selling, it's not a good thing.

In your post you mention that they have been "upfront" with you - did they tell you exactly what the Aterna is so that you know what you are paying for (ie moissanite vs overpriced CZ?)

Moissanite is expensive to grow so I would not expect a significant price drop.

9. Queen of Sparkle

Queen of Sparkle
    Expand Collapse
    Connoisseur

Just out of interest,if the "Aterna" is 50% carbon,what does the other 50% comprise of..........& why have they not said what it is?

If it is a lab created diamond,then it would be 100% carbon & 10 on the Mohs scale,surely?
    Sounds wierd to me......

#9 Queen of Sparkle, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    kmeltzoff and mmascall like this.
  10. Herb

Herb
    Expand Collapse

Mascall, Eventer and Queen. The ingredients of Aterna are listed clearly on Quorri's website. Go to quorri.com, click on VIEW THE COLLECTION, scroll down to where the screen turns black with white lettering, click on ATERNA, then read what it says under the heading THE SCIENCE.

For all who are computor dummies like me this is a quote from Quorri's site so you don't have to try to look it up yourself: It says that Aterna is a "blend comprised of 50% Pure Carbon and 50% SIC to create a unique mix that enhances the Aterna's core for diamond like durability (9.5 mohs...) and lifetime luster.

We use the latest advanced rough processing to achieve a colorless pure polytype. Without exception our stringent quality control and selecting process ensures that only the highest graded premium stones are given the Aterna branding."

So what's not clear about that?

Herb

11. kmeltzoff

kmeltzoff
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

A simple google search will bring up lots of unhappy customers from Quorri. There have been multiple posts on wedding bee from the past couple years, and there was a quorri thread on here a while back (can find with a search). The company looks like total BS to me, and likely just sells overpriced CZ. Don't do it.

12. jcent

jcent
    Expand Collapse
    BTD Crown Jewel

Later on down the page it says 50% C and 50% SIG, whatever that is. Something about this does not sound right to me, I am not a chemist, but lab grown diamonds have not been an easy feat for the labs that do it. And SiC is not easily produced either. If some completely new diamond hybrid material came onto the market, I think we would have heard about it though reputable sources like trade papers and trade shows.

Cricketgrrl, kmeltzoff and mmascall like this.
  13. Herb

Herb
    Expand Collapse

I not going to do anything impulsively. When I talked to them about BTD they didn't bad mouth or slander them at all. Their reply was very professional.

I will research your accusations and see how truthful they are then post my findings here for everyone to see.

Again I live in Canada and prefer to deal with a Canadian distributor, not only to keep the cost down, but to eliminate the cross boarder shipping, which I saw on a post somewhere, can be a problem if I'm not happy and want to replace the stone.

Can someone tell me if this is a BTD biased message board? I'm looking for unbiased advice from peope with no vested interest in what I decide.

Thank you all and I hope I didn't offend anyone. I'm just looking for the best stone at the best price from a reputable company who will replace it free of charge with no hassle if I'm not happy. And, again, from a Canadian company if possible.
    Herb

14. eventer

eventer
    Expand Collapse

It's not necessarily a BTD board. We discuss many things here.

Quorri sells CZ. That much has been proven.

I actually AM a chemist, and I'm really dusting off my thermodynamics here because it's been awhile, but logically, it does not follow to me that you could make a material that was 50% carbon and 50% silicon carbide. The crystal structure would make no sense, purely theoretically you would be talking about making a tetrahedron, plus other isomeric structures - and this compound has been researched both theoretically and in mathematical modeling and that would form a planar triangular molecule that would have to organize into a tetrahedron.

Suffice it to say, if someone had figured out how to produce this stuff in the quantities needed to cut gems out of it, that would have been published.

"The Aterna is a lab created diamond gem like nothing else you have ever laid eyes on" Diamond is a carbon allotrope. A substance containing silicon is not a diamond. They're already lying. Also, they report that the substance is 50% carbon, which would be inaccurate if it were a compound made of "50% carbon and 50% silicon carbide," so another lie.

Based on the figures they post and the theoretical calculations, they're selling you 4H moissanite, the same thing as forever one, and the base for the Amora Gem, and also the same thing that moissanite international is cutting and selling, which if I had to guess, is probably where they're getting this from if they're not just selling you C&C Forever One.

kmeltzoff likes this.
  15. kmeltzoff

kmeltzoff
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

@Herb you are free to purchase what you want, but suggesting we are biased and saying you are going to "research our accusations and see how truthful they are" comes off as pretty aggressive. I'm unclear about why you are so set on defending a company you've never worked with before? You came here asking questions about a company and we answered them. I'm sorry if you do not like the answer, but that doesn't change the truth of it. I apologize for being a bit short here, but it's frustrating to see someone argue at every turn when the original point of the post was asking our opinion.

Queen of Sparkle likes this.
  16. jcent

jcent
    Expand Collapse
    BTD Crown Jewel

OP read it again... it says "blend comprised of 50% Pure Carbon and 50% SIC to create a unique mix that enhances the Aterna's core".. I would be looking at that more carefully. Specifically enhances and core. The core is what??? CZ. So it is CZ coated (enhanced) with a mix of C and SiC. Asha is a CZ coated in just C. C is more diamond like than SiC, so if you want a coated CZ, there are better, more diamond like products out there.

If you want to buy this go nuts, I am really not invested in this either way. But I do hate to see people throw away money, and for coated CZ, this is way over priced. Not to mention you should be aware of what you are buying. This is not a diamond. This is not a moissanite. You are buying a product where the producers are being deliberately vague, and it does clearly say an "enhanced core".

mmascall and kmeltzoff like this.
  17. jcent

jcent
    Expand Collapse
    BTD Crown Jewel

Also, I am also Canadian, and have never had a problem with cross boarder shopping. I am in AB also, so tax is 5%, which is what you would pay anyway buying it here. There are reasons people buy these things from the US. Mainly reputable, knowledgeable vendors that are selling exactly what they say.

kmeltzoff likes this.
  18. Herb

Herb
    Expand Collapse

Sorry again for offending. It's good to hear from someone in Canada, my own province no less, who has had no cross boarder issues. Do you think it would be a problem if I had to ship it back for a replacement? I'm not expecting that, I just want to know what would happen "if" my jewller and I can see it's a deffective stone.

Buying over the internet is scarry for me as my wife has me on a tight budget and she would rake me over the coals if I got screwed buying an expensive jewel for my own ring. She much prefers it when I buy her jewels!

I did a bunch of research as per what Kmeltzoff suggested and did find a few(two) unhappy cutomers. But they were both enhanced cz customers not Aterna cutomers. There was one post on, I think it was Weddingbee, that stated that there has also been unhappy Asha customers too.

Enhanced cz is everywhere. If I want that stuff, I'd just get it locally. Buying over the internet is risky and I will probably just have a reputable jeweller order and set my ring once I decide exactly what I want. Then, if there's a problem, I can deal with him In person.
    Herb

19. jcent

jcent
    Expand Collapse
    BTD Crown Jewel

You are not offending me at all. I think it is just that a lot of us have spent years learning about diamond alternatives and we have read countless claims by a some questionable companies and we really do not want to see people wasting their money. Or spending it on something that is not what they think. I would really just caution you that this Aterna is not what it seems. It looks like enhanced CZ to me and I think for the price you can do better.

if your jeweler is happy to work with sims then he/she should be able to order things like moissanite on your behalf. And most will price match it to more popular US vendors. Then the shipping can be your jewelers problem. However, if you do decide to order yourself, just make sure the vendor is hand selecting the stone. I don't like to deal with all of the shipping stuff either, as return shipping from Canada is more challenging. In cases where I have shipped things back, I have been provided a shipping label that I just have to take to fedex and it was all covered for me. But I am not sure if all jewelers will do that, so it is worth looking into.

The benefit to ordering from a vendor that is familari with moissy though, is that they understand about hand selecting. The AG seems to have the most consistent cutting. The H&A look good so far too. The F1 really need to be screened.

20. Herb

Herb
    Expand Collapse

Just got back from my jewlers with two rings. The first one is a yellow 14k Gold wedding band crowned with white Gold surrounding a 1c round brilliant Moissy. The second is a yellow 14k Gold ring I inherited from my Dad crowned with white gold surrounding a 9x7mm oval cz. This is just a temporary stone until I decide what I really want. At this point I'm leaning towards a Pure Hearts Oval AG of aprox the same size as my cz.

Now I see what all the fuss is about! The Moissy is shining and giving off flashes of color, their just gorgeous! I will post pictures as soon as I can figure how to do that.
    Herb

#20 Herb, Sep 24, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2016