Amora Eternity vs Ultra vs UE1 vs UE2 - spotlight and office modeling

Discussion in 'Amora Gem Forum' started by talk-admin, Apr 26, 2017.

?

What is your favorite cut? (you can vote for up to 2).

1. Eternity H&A

66.7%
  2. Ultra H&A

25.0%
  3. UE1 H&A

37.5%
  4. UE2 H&A

8.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. talk-admin

talk-admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi all,
    I wanted to post out some modeling videos as there had been some people asking for us to consider offering the Ultra along with the new Eternity.

Ultimately the goal at BTD is to produced the worlds most stunning gems, so we don't care what the cut is as long as it is arguably the best. But in some cases the 'best' is opinion as there is always a tradeoff between fire/brilliance ratio, and how the fire is apportioned (large and bold vs. medium and more, etc).

The new Eternity in our opinion resoundly trumps the Ultra. However, included below are two experimental cuts - UltraEternity 1 and UltraEternity 2 (for lack of another name...basically the Eternity but modifying how the fire is presented, with larger/bolder bursts).

Anyway please review the modeling videos and let us know your favorite! It's important to consider not just spotlighting, but office lighting as the office lighting is your more typical lighting.

Here then are the videos!

Eternity H&A: Spotlighting:

Eternity H&A - office lighting:

Ultra H&A Spotlighting:

Ultra H&A Office:

And the two combos in the next post to avoid post length...

Windblownhair likes this.
  2. talk-admin

talk-admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

UE1 Spotlighting:

UE1 Office:

UE2 Office:

UE2 - Spotlighting:

Cricketgrrl and Windblownhair like this.
  3. Windblownhair

Windblownhair
    Expand Collapse
    Connoisseur

I voted primarily using the office lighting videos, since that's where the lion's share of my use would be...have to say I'm loving the eternity. The pared down arrows and the amount of fire really made the difference for me.

mmascall likes this.
  4. mmascall

mmascall
    Expand Collapse
    Connoisseur

Great videos! I have an Ultra and I looove it but I must say that the Eternities are gorgeous. I love the Ultra 'cause it looks very similar to a transitional cut and it's pretty darn sparkly :D Having said that, the performance of the Eternity and the Ultra Eternity 1 are my faves and I voted for them.

5. rory12

rory12
    Expand Collapse
    Smitten

The Eternity stones are definitely a winner. The arrows are dead in the Ultra office lighting.

But I don't really see what the differences are between all 3 Eternity stones. They look exactly the same. Could you explain what we should be looking for between the Eternity and UE1 and UE2?

6. talk-admin

talk-admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Great and good eyes :) I didn't want to note it earlier to bias any voting, but according to the ASET mapping, the Eternity is the peak of fire/brilliance, which is why that's our main H&A.
    Thanks for the feedback!
    Less

Windblownhair likes this.
  7. talk-admin

talk-admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks for the feedback mmascall! The Ultra Eternity 1 should outperform the original Ultra for those that want a thicker arrow look and chunkier fire, but the Eternity is the max for both fire/brilliance.
    Best regards,
    Less

8. talk-admin

talk-admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks for the feedback Rory! The immediate difference between Eternity and the 2 variants (UE1 and UE2) is the size of the arrows.
    This impacts the average size of each color flare (or fire burst), and how long it hangs around as well as total light return/brilliance. As you go from Eternity to 1 to 2, the arrows increase and proportionately generate larger, slower bursts, but it also impacts negatively the speed of the fire (less pop and more rolling) and reduces some brilliance overall as the geometry is not as ideal for the average light path.

The current Eternity according to ASET mapping is the highest light return and thus max fire/brilliance.

Best regards,
    Less

rory12 likes this.
  9. rory12

rory12
    Expand Collapse
    Smitten

Now that you mentioned it I can see the slightly thicker arrows, and more apparent in the UE2. I have to say flicking through the Eternities the difference is still very minute, maybe a bit more obvious on the UE2, but the fact that you can achieve these tiny differences on a mass scale is incredible haha. Would you be able to post more detailed information between the Eternity and UE1 in particular? Like the Crown angle, pavilion angle, table %, depth %? Feel free to add ultra specs as well if possible :p

10. Karamia

Karamia
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

I also voted as mmascall did. Having had both, although I love the Eternity, I do miss the chunky fire more than I realized so I voted for Eternity and Ultra Eternity 1. It would be great to have a choice if possible.

I changed my vote to say I like the Ultra Eternity 1 better. I really miss the bigger, bolder flashes rather than tiny ones.

#10 Karamia, Apr 27, 2017
    Last edited: May 12, 2017
  11. rory12

rory12
    Expand Collapse
    Smitten

I think the current cut of the new Eternity looks very much like these premium signature diamond cuts by Brian Gavin and Whiteflash (that you pay a "£$% load for!).. so, very exciting! If there was no double refraction it would be literally perfect. Are we sure there's no cubic SiC polytype with a 3.2+ bandgap? :p

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. talk-admin

talk-admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Rory,
    A little secret - we orient the Amora Gem to a specific plane before cutting...so the face up view is in fact singly refractive. :)
    If you don't do that, then you end up with the double refraction and it's much blurrier..but the Amora Gem is singly refractive to the viewer.

Best regards,
    Less

rory12 likes this.
  13. mshzzle

mshzzle
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

In actual studio videos between the Eternity and the Ultra, it is quite clear to me that the scintillation characteristics of the Eternity are superior and more diamond-like than the Ultra. I have the Ultra and this was my only real gripe over it. The flashes off large facets had too much perceivable "Hang time" as opposed to "on-off" like diamonds do, which IMO reduces the eye-catching sparkle. The fire seemed to roll into and roll off, as opposed to shoot out at you. Eternity solves this problem, and the flashes even have that twinkle/flutter that diamonds do that the Ultra completely lacked. Just has more "Pop" and attention grabbing.

The debate over "Fire" is a moot point to me. SiC puts out so much more dispersion than diamond anyways that going for "even more fire" while compromising in other aspects doesn't seem like the most logical approach. From looking at studio videos, Eternity seems to have everything in balance. As soon as I see one in person I'll have an even better judgment of that, but the studio video shows this pretty clearly IMO.

Mrs2Ouch, ubtlav and talk-admin like this.
  14. Karamia

Karamia
    Expand Collapse
    Fiend

Are there any plans to do a run of Ultra Eternity 1 stones? Or is the current cut the final and only version? Thank you!

15. BraveHeart

BraveHeart
    Expand Collapse

I see that the Eternity has smaller and more pops of color/flashes. The EU1 has larger color flashes that hang for a bit longer so it seems bolder (the Eternity is a bit more understated in comparison). I like the EU1 because I think it is a good combination of both. The Eternity seems more lively in office lighting. I already own an Ultra and enjoy the bold flashes of light. Less, can you offer both the Eternity and EU1? It's good to allow your customers a choice.

There's also more fire in the Eternity and the flashes are shorter so they seem sharper. I would say the Eternity behaves more like a diamond. It twinkles. The EU1 is bolder and the flash holds longer but there are less of them. I like both but wouldn't mind seeing the Eternity in more videos. Less, can you make a comparison video of both of them in real life so that viewers can get a real sense?

#15 BraveHeart, May 11, 2017
    Last edited: May 11, 2017
  16. talk-admin

talk-admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm up for doing a small run of the UE1 after we get caught up on the Eternity production. Let's shoot for July for this.

Best regards,
    Less

17. talk-admin

talk-admin
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi BraveHeart,
    I think we could definitely do a small run of the UE1 in July. This would let people pick their preferred H&A "style" - fast/medium flashes versus slower/larger flashes.

We can certainly do some videos to compare directly but would have to wait until we've cut some (though we could do a quick model comparison video to make that a bit easier to see in the interim). I don't want to confuse things too much for production, so I think July would be a good time to try a few EU1 and show/sell those.

Best regards,
    Less

18. BraveHeart

BraveHeart
    Expand Collapse

Hi Less, I look forward to seeing the new UE1s!! 2cts please! I do like the bold flashes in addition to the small ones (I own a few Ultras :)). I think that is the market differentiator between your typical diamond and an Amora gem. It makes the Amora a cut above the rest! I'll wait for the real comparison videos when those come out.

19. Mrs2Ouch

Mrs2Ouch
    Expand Collapse

I would love to have one of each of these in my hands to compare in person!