The Busted Thread

A fun lil' question for you:

How would you react if someone gave you the one and only engagement ring with a moissanite in it, with the understading that the ring is never to be changed or upgraded?

In case there is no e-ring coming, please consider the next jewelry piece on your priority list: would a manufactured stone make sense for its own sake considering what makes it different from anything natural?

---------------------
PS: if there is some previous poll or discussion on the matter here, feel free to link. Thank you in advance!

PPS: there is a method to the madness! This is not the only place this survey is running, so things could be getting real' interesting with answers from unexpected corners of the net.

Last edited by a moderator:
Believe it or not, I think a lot of guys still feel this way about the Ering. (Oh, I do believe, as they age, they realize that most of us like some variety).

I really don't think it would be a big deal. I'd go with the agreement-------with the understanding that I wear what I want on my other hand.

mokey

Connoisseur
I would agree to the moiss no problem, but the setting would need some tweaking over time
. I would have no problem if hubby told me that the stone was to stay the same though. I do agree with Ladywolfe that many men feel like it should stay the same and have a sense of tradition as far as that goes. I am interested to see what people have to say too.

Patty97

Connoisseur
It could be moissanite, but I would have to like the ring overall or I wouldn't wear it. My husband could care less about the tradition thing. He has upgraded his wedding ring over the years.

If it was discussed ahead of time and I knew I wouldn't be getting a diamond I would have no problem with getting a moissanite, but to tell me I could never have a diamond if I wanted down the line...that I would have a problem with.

moissfan

The Black Orlov
I've changed e-rings 4 times, and I'm buying 3 more in the next year.
Good thing my husband isn't rigid, cause I (therefore we) would definitely have a problem with it.
But it wouldn't be because the stone's a moiss-that's the perfect stone!
-but because of the setting.
This girl has gotta have choices!

As long as it was exactly what I wanted setting-wise, and the stone looked nice, I wouldn't care at all. He would just have to deal with me wearing similar style rings on my right hand as well. My sparklie desire has to have some outlet!

moissfan

The Black Orlov
I wish I could wear rings on my right hand, but my left hand is jealous.

No, JK!!
I can't stand the feel of a ring on my right hand.
That's why I have to be able to switch out e-rings, or I just might bust!!

No, I would not like that deal regarding the ring. While moissanite would be perfectly fine & I could (probably) live with always having to use that stone in any future settings. But, I need the freedom to change it if I want.
Especially a simulant. Not that there isn't some sort of "dream ring" out there for me that I would love so much I wouldn't want to change it. But I haven't met it yet. And what I like now is so different than 5, 10, 20 years ago, it's scary.

Now if it was a 4 carat pink VS diamond set in platinum, I would be more than willing to agree to never switch it out or upgrade it.

As for simulants having value on their own merits - most definately.

CaraMish

The Imperial Diamond
Well, considering I married my DH with no ering, and no prospects of ever getting an ering, then I would either say the moissanite is fine, or that we don't even need an ering.

As to whether or not moissanite is worthy enough to be a life-long possession, then that's up to each couple to decide. It's their marriage, their ering, their decision.

Eh, that's a hard one... to be fair, I don't even wear my e-ring at work (I use my hands too much), but no, don't think I could do it.
I'm on e-ring number 5-ish; lost the first one, band was too thick on the second (though I did get use to it and wear it when I feel sentimental, this ring got my orginal wedding band), the thrid was a little to trendy for me, the fourth is classic (a tiffany repro setting) and the fifth (hopefully done in time for V-day) fills my need for a beautiful fishtail setting.
On the other hand, I never planned to upgrade to my first one, it just kinda happened- after doing so much research on jewelry I have a real passion for it and can't help but always have a project it the works.
Oh well! we all need our hobbies!!

Eh, that's a hard one... to be fair, I don't even wear my e-ring at work (I use my hands too much), but no, don't think I could do it.
I'm on e-ring number 5-ish; lost the first one, band was too thick on the second (though I did get use to it and wear it when I feel sentimental, this ring got my orginal wedding band), the thrid was a little to trendy for me, the fourth is classic (a tiffany repro setting) and the fifth (hopefully done in time for V-day) fills my need for a beautiful fishtail setting.
On the other hand, I never planned to upgrade to my first one, it just kinda happened- after doing so much research on jewelry I have a real passion for it and can't help but always have a project it the works.
Oh well! we all need our hobbies!!
yep..while i'm not lucky enough to have so many...i'm developing the 'passion' or 'habit'(as in addiction
) after my reseach here

If you want to wait for a diamond just get engaged without an e-ring and get a really nice wedding band. You can get "the ring" later down the track for an anniversary.

Remember you are marrying the man, not the ring.

Remember you are marrying the man, not the ring.
So true!!

I thing a ring presented as an engagement ring is exactly that, regardless of stone! Engagement rings hold that special sentiment that MAKES them "engagement!"

On upgrading, I am more half and half on the idea! Since I AM on my second e-ring (due to hubby chucking it along with our TRASH
) I can't be opposed to changing e-rings, styles and tastes change, so why not switch it up if the mood hits??
My wedding band however, is a different story. That is the ring I took my vows and was married with. I could never trade that sentimental and emotional value in for something else!

deb34

Connoisseur
up to each couple to decide. It's their marriage, their ering, their decision
i think the operative word here is 'couple'- that is to say that neither partner would be laying down the law to the other without flexibility. I would not be very happy to marry such a rigid man as in the 1st scenario...never to have the choice to change to something that i would choose myself...hmmmm....i hope we have progressed in our society that the decisions about what to wear on the wedding hand would be made mutally and with the understanding on both sides that when and if a change is desired, another mutally agreed upon decision would be made.

up to each couple to decide. It's their marriage, their ering, their decision
i think the operative word here is 'couple'- that is to say that neither partner would be laying down the law to the other without flexibility. I would not be very happy to marry such a rigid man as in the 1st scenario...never to have the choice to change to something that i would choose myself...hmmmm....i hope we have progressed in our society that the decisions about what to wear on the wedding hand would be made mutally and with the understanding on both sides that when and if a change is desired, another mutally agreed upon decision would be made.
Well said, deb! I totally agree.

borismom

The Imperial Diamond
Kudos to the guy who buys a ring to declare his love and intentions with! But if it were my guy, I would love to have a say in the matter, and if budget doesn't allow a nice diamond, I would go with a sim hands down! I would rather sacrifice the diamond for a bigger stone, and nicer setting.

Of course when I was married, I stayed faithful to my ering 2 years... After that, I used to change rings once a year!

gemcat

Super Moderator
Oh, dear, decisions, decisions! I promised to "love, honor, and cherish" the man, not my ring. I've had so many over the years, I've lost track of the jewelery, but never doubted my husband. The style, stone, etc. that appealed to me 27 years ago certainly is different from what appeals to me now. For that matter, what appealed to me yesterday is different from what appeals to me today.

I say keep the important stuff the same i.e. "husband", and reserve the flexibility to change your mind about the not-so-important stuff.

See what I mean?

Attachments