Amora Gem Appraisal Problems

Hi All,

I recently mounted an Amora Gem to an engagement ring, and they appraised it for me as well. They first wrote "cubic zircona" and after telling them it's an amora gem and I sent them the pamphlet of all the details of my gem, and a link to the website describing what amora gems are, they then redid the appraisal saying "synthetic moissanite"

what do i do??
They said Amora Gem is just a brand name, but I told them it's not a moissanite either?

MissCassie

The Pink Orchid
Synthetic moissanite is actually correct, all SiC gemstones (including the AG) are moissanite (which is actually the generic term, but C&C used it for their products for some reason).

Maybe ask them to add the exact specs from the grading report to their "synthetic moissanite" response by adding a foot note, as well as the distinct H&A pattern.

If that fails, I'm sure a vendor here could do right by you and get an accurate appraisal done.

thanks for the quick answer MissCassie

Amora Gems and Moissanites are both made of silicon carbide, but I thought they had a different crystal structure? Doesn't that make the actual silicon carbide rock different? Somewhere on another site they said it's like comparing graphite and diamond.

A better analogy would be this:
Silicon carbide = carbon
All moissanite = diamond
Amora moissanite = type II diamond
Forever One = type Ib diamond

The choice calling Amora type II is arbitrary--there's no relationship other than that we're talking about subtle differences in crystal structure.

Also carbon is an extremely common element found in many forms, but silicon carbide is only found naturally as moissanite, only then in tiny little chips.

And even more fun facts: synthetic silicon carbide in a non-crystalline form has been around since the early 19th century, and has been a popular material for tools since 1890, but the first discovery of natural moissy had to wait until 1893. It was found in a meteor, of all places.

thanks for the quick answer MissCassie

Amora Gems and Moissanites are both made of silicon carbide, but I thought they had a different crystal structure? Doesn't that make the actual silicon carbide rock different? Somewhere on another site they said it's like comparing graphite and diamond.

The crystal structure is different to Moissanite. It has a higher refractive index and a MOHS hardness rating higher than moissanite.

Less will have specific details about what that all means in terms of a different crystal structure, but for the purposes of appraisal "moissanite" is probably what makes the most sense in all reality. The market is all but ignorant to what an Amora Gem is.

When I had my wife's engagement ring set, the jeweler marked "moissanite" on his note sheet. However, the jeweler came out and asked me about it because he had never seen "moissanite" like that before, meaning colorless and ideal cut. My wife's is a D/IF 6.6mm. When I explained Amora Gem to him, he was actually impressed. He said he had worked with moissanite before, but the quailty of the Amora was way beyond anything he'd ever seen in Moissanite and that it was as beautiful as any diamond he'd ever worked with. This was back in 2014 before Amora was available in the US market.

What sets the Amora Gem apart from moissanite from a value perspective is the details. Super Ideal cut gems with availability in flawless clarity. Moissanite is not flawless clarity and their cutting can be downright terrible.

My wife has a pair of Forever Brilliant Hearts and Arrows cut 1 carat earrings, and they are very impressive with their sparkle, fire and scintillation. But the H&A moissanite is limited production, and it still has that J color with the chameleon green effect in certain lighting. They are very sparkly though, tough to beat in that category.

I've seen moissanite with about a "good" rating in the cut, and they look terrible. Moissanite has always been known for its inconsistent cut quality from C&C.

Anyways, appraisals on synthetic gems are worthless if you ask me.

Take the appraiasal cost of the piece without the cost of the Amora, add the Amora's cost and there you go.

Last edited:
Hi All,

I recently mounted an Amora Gem to an engagement ring, and they appraised it for me as well. They first wrote "cubic zircona" and after telling them it's an amora gem and I sent them the pamphlet of all the details of my gem, and a link to the website describing what amora gems are, they then redid the appraisal saying "synthetic moissanite"

what do i do??
They said Amora Gem is just a brand name, but I told them it's not a moissanite either?
Why are you having an appraisal, when the Amora gem comes with its own certification? Is it for insurance or something?

diamondangel

BTD Crown Jewel
Many of our clients have their Amora pieces appraised and insured. If you are using Amora Gem for your engagement ring, spend a few thousand on your custom setting, you want to make sure that if something happens like a broken prong, missing diamond from the side, or God forbid a theft happens, your insurance will cover repairs or replacement. If the appraisal does not specifically state Amora Gem Ultra H&A Round with ____ grading laboratory report #_____, the insurance company can replace the Amora with a generic moissanite. This is why it is important to have that brand on there, so that you are covered for the brand you purchased.

Why are you having an appraisal, when the Amora gem comes with its own certification? Is it for insurance or something?
The company that set my Amora gem into my ring did an appraisal for free. You need an appraisal for insurance if you ever want to buy one.

Other rocks for example Andalusite, Sillimanite and Kyanite are all made of Al2SiO5, but exists with different structures aka polymorphs.
I guess I will leave it with "Synthetic Moissanite" right now because there is no name for other polymorphs of SiC (ie. Amora gems).
When one day, it is recognized as a new rock and is named, I will reappraise it.

Many of our clients have their Amora pieces appraised and insured. If you are using Amora Gem for your engagement ring, spend a few thousand on your custom setting, you want to make sure that if something happens like a broken prong, missing diamond from the side, or God forbid a theft happens, your insurance will cover repairs or replacement. If the appraisal does not specifically state Amora Gem Ultra H&A Round with ____ grading laboratory report #_____, the insurance company can replace the Amora with a generic moissanite. This is why it is important to have that brand on there, so that you are covered for the brand you purchased.
I wish they would put Amora Gem Ultra H&A Round with the report number. Unfortunately, they said they can't put "brand names" =(

MissCassie

The Pink Orchid
Wait, they can't put "Brand Names"? If that's the case, then how can they replace "like with like" for something like a Cartier, or Tiffany? Brand name does actually carry weight and affects value.
Can someone else appraise the ring? Surely someone on these boards has had their ring appraised and they were able to put the brand on there, or at the very least, identify the "Synthetic moissanite with distinct hearts and arrows faceting"?

Wait, they can't put "Brand Names"? If that's the case, then how can they replace "like with like" for something like a Cartier, or Tiffany? Brand name does actually carry weight and affects value.
Can someone else appraise the ring? Surely someone on these boards has had their ring appraised and they were able to put the brand on there, or at the very least, identify the "Synthetic moissanite with distinct hearts and arrows faceting"?
For the value, they did take into account how much the Amora Gem cost and added it to the ring cost. Is this good enough for insurance purposes? Do insurance companies just give me back however much money the appraisal said and I just get the gem/ring on my own?

MissCassie

The Pink Orchid
No, they rarely cut you a check, you have to get a ring through a vendor, and the insurance company will write THEM the check. Appraisal values a good to have if they are accurate, sometimes people have inflated ones though, and they don't get that value, they get market value.

If they are being stubborn, I would simply ask they notate "distinct hearts and arrows faceting", since not all "synthetic moissanite" shares that trait.

K I emailed the guy to at least add the gem specifics like cut/clarity/color/hearts&arrows for insurance purposes. He said the insurance company isn't concerned with the type of gem in the ring. They just give you a cheque based on the premiums I am paying and the value on the appraisal.

I guess it depends on the type of insurance company?

I am guessing he's not budging on adding stuff onto it.

MissCassie

The Pink Orchid
Well, if they give YOU the check based on appraisal value, then I wouldn't worry about it.

If they are one of the companies that "helps" in finding a replacement ring, then I'd get an appraisal elsewhere.

diamondangel

BTD Crown Jewel
I would have a HUGE issue with the lack of brand name being shown. For instance, if they were appraising a diamond piece, and it was one of our Crafted By Infinity diamonds, you would not get the same quality in the event of a loss and replacement with a non-branded ideal cut.

This really makes no sense. The appraiser works for you. Other appraisers put brand names and clarity and color on the appraisal. How your piece is to be replaced is between you and your insurance company, and they don't usually issue checks. That won't change just because an appraiser thinks that's how it works. On the contrary, the big insurance companies have agreements with vendors and get the replacement for less than you paid for it. Make no mistake, you will not get an Amora, and you will not get the color and clarity and cut you are expecting. Even worse, if you insure it for what you paid for it, you are overpaying for the much cheaper stone your insurance company will buy for you.

Wink

The Imperial Diamond
If the appraiser you are using is not willing to properly call your gem an Amora Gem Ultra. created by BetterThanDiamond then find one who is. PERIOD. Having anything less is simply not going to assure you of having your insured item replaced in kind if anything should ever happen to it. Any appraiser who tells you stupid things like, "Duh, the market doesn't know what this is so I'm going to call it a moissanite," is simply not worth what ever it is you are paying for the appraisal.

Walk away, rapidly, and find a competent appraiser. One who will ask questions and put down on the paper what the item actually is. He may not have seen it before and may not know how to value it except by looking at your receipt, but he should darn well be able to look it up on the net and then properly call it what it is. Anything less is just simply unacceptable.

Wink

Good thing this appraisal was free.
When I go get insurance, I'll see if they do the cheque thing or replace the gem thing. If it's the latter, I'll have to get it appraised elsewhere.

Thanks guys so much for your help. I will post pictures of my ring later. =)